Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Police registration

Do I need to register with the Police?

If you come from one of the following countries and have a visa for longer than 6 months then you must register with the police within 7 days of arriving in the UK or within 7 days from the date you obtain your new visa if you are already inside the UK:

ArmeniaColombiaJordanMoroccoSaudi ArabiaU.A.E.
AzerbaijanCubaKazakhstanNorth KoreaSudanUkraine

If you need to register with the Police it will state this on the entry clearance vignette (visa) or as a remark on the Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), or since 24 April, it may be confirmed solely on the Home Office decision letter. If your vignette does not state that you need to register with the Police please contact us.

The immigration rules state that a condition of your entry and stay in the UK is this registration process, so it is essential that you do so as soon as possible.

Why is it important to register with the police?

Registering with the police is a legal immigration requirement of your permission to enter and remain in the UK. If you fail to register with the police you could be prosecuted and a note of this will be placed on your immigration record. This may have a negative impact on any future visa applications you make. You should also be aware that you must provide your up to date Police Registration Certificate when making a visa extension application and also if you need to apply for a replacement visa due to loss or theft.

What do I need to do if I have not registered with the police before?

If this is the first time you are registering with the police then you must book an appointment to carry out this important procedure. Please see below for information on how to book an appointment.

When you attend your appointment you will need to provide the following documents:

  • Your passport;
  • 2 passport photographs;
  • £34 registration fee - this must be paid in cash and you should have the correct money available;
  • Proof that you are a student - this can be either your Student ID card, your CAS email or offer letter;
  • Completed police registration questionnaire. The questionnaire and guidance notes are available to download below:

Police registration questionnaire

Guidance notes for completing the police registration questionnaire

What if I have already registered but my circumstances have changed?

If you have previously registered but your circumstances have changed then you must report this to the police within 7 days and your certificate will be updated. There is no charge for updating your certificate. 

Please report any of the following changes and provide relevant documents as evidence:

What’s changed? What documents/evidence required?

Your current Police Registration Certificate, your passport and only 1 of the following documents
Change of addressCardiff University accommodation = residences card only.
Private accommodation = tenancy agreement/ contract, or gas/electric/water bill that shows your new address
Change of UniversityCardiff University student ID card or a print out of your CAS email from Cardiff University
Change of marital statusMarriage certificate, or divorce certificate
Extension to visa granted by the Home OfficeBiometric Residence Permit (BRP)
Change of passportNew passport

How can I book an appointment with the Police?

You must book an appointment to register with the Police or update your Police Registration Certificate. Appointments are available as follows:

Dates:    Every Wednesday           

Venue:    International Student Support (3rd Floor, Students Union Building)

You must book an appointment in advance by using the on-line booking system.

What do I do if I've lost my Police Registration Certificate?

You will need to re-register with the police as if it is the first time you have done so. Please see the section "What do I need to do if I have not registered with the police before" above. You will be charged £34.

Registering with the Police is an important procedure. If you are in any doubt about what you need to do, please contact us.

Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information herein, Cardiff University can accept no responsibility for errors or omissions.
Cardiff University is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites and does not necessarily endorse the views expressed within
The government makes changes to the immigration rules and procedures on a regular basis, so it is important that you check the current guidance and rules when applying for a visa. For further information visit UKCISA and the Home Office  websites