Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Small financial problems

If you have a relatively small financial problem then you may wish to consider the following options:

Working part time 

  • If you have a shortfall in the money needed for your living costs then you could try to find a job and work part-time during term time and full-time during your holidays. Remember though, that part time jobs are not always easy to find and you are likely to be paid the minimum wage of £5.03 an hour for 18-20 year olds, increasing to £6.31 for those aged 21 and over. So, working part time may help to supplement your living costs but is not likely to help you pay off large debts whilst you are studying. Register with the Unistaff Job Shop in the Students' Union for help with finding a job.

Emergency loans 

  • If you have a temporary cash flow problem and need a small amount of money (usually up to a maximum of £200), then you may be able to apply for an Emergency Loan from the University.

Help with childcare costs at the University Day Care Centre 

  • The University may be able to offer some help with childcare costs, but only if your child is attending the University Day Care Centre.  Application forms can be obtained from the Day Care Centre and the Fee Remissions Group will consider applications on a means-tested basis each term. 

Help with study support costs for a disability or health problem

  • If you have a disability (either long term or short term) that requires you to have extra support so that you can study, and this is incurring you costs then you may be able to claim a grant from the University Disability Fund. Applications can be made via the Disability and Dyslexia Service, please contact us if you would like to make an application to this fund. 
  • The Lilian Oldfield Davies and Benjamin Narberth Fund is a University trust fund that can help women students who encounter health problems.

Negotiating with creditors

  • The Student Advisory Service offers debt counselling and can help you negotiate with creditors, for example mobile phone, gas and electricity companies, to gain control of your debts.If you would like to discuss your situation with an adviser, please make an appointment with International Student Support

Help with budgeting

  • More help with planning and managing your finances is available here.