Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Large financial problems

If you have a large shortfall in your funding then finding a solution is difficult. However, here are some options to consider:

Negotiate with the Finance Department

  • If you have paid some of your tuition fees and think you need more time to pay off the remainder, it may be possible to set up a payment plan to pay off the debt. You must contact the Finance Department to inform them you are having financial difficulties; if you have a fee debt and do nothing this will result in you being de-registered from the University. This has serious implications on your immigration status. More information is available here.

Apply for a grant through the University

Apply for grants from private Trusts and Charities

  • There are some private trusts and charities that deal with student hardship. They can usually offer small amounts of money and most will only consider applications from students in the final months of study.
  •  A list of private trusts and charities that we know are currently accepting applications and are relevant to Cardiff University's international students is available. Please note that this list is not definitive.

Take an interruption of studies 

  • If the problem is likely to be long-term, you are not in your final year, and a large amount of money is needed (e.g. to pay tuition fees), then realistically there is not much that can be done to help. The only option may be to take an interruption of studies. This must be authorised by your academic school. Please note: taking an interruption of studies will mean that you are no longer a registered student and the University is required to report this to the Home Office. Once reported, you are expected to leave the UK as soon as possible. If you are considering this option you are strongly advised to discuss this with International Student Support.


Useful websites

  • Family Action: Specialises in educational charitable trust funds and maintains an on-line database of all Trusts and Charities that assist students.
  • The British Council: Links to useful advice and information on funding.
  • Cardiff University: Information on scholarships and funding through Cardiff University. Please note that this information is aimed at pre-entry students.

Useful Publications

  • The Educational Grants Directory: This reference book can be loaned from the Student Support Centre
  • Other publications available from large libraries include:
    • The Grants Register
    • Directory of Grant Making Trusts
    • A Guide to Grants for Individuals in Need
    • Money to Study