Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


International students with families


If you have your family with you here in the UK then you may find the following topics of interest. Please click on the links below for further information.



Council Tax




Childcare for pre-school children and childminders

Activities for children

Classes for adults

Family activities

Exploring Cardiff and Wales

Transport in Cardiff

Sport and leisure

Faith and religion



What do I need to know about immigration issues that affect my family?

If you have any queries related to your family’s immigration, please contact International Student Support to arrange to speak to an adviser.

UKCISA have useful information available on their web site.


What types of family accommodation is available at Cardiff University?

For information on accommodation available within the University for families please visit the University's Residences web pages 

Where can I find privately rented family accommodation?

For information on how to find privately rented family accommodation please visit the Cardiff University Student's Union web pages

Council tax

What is council tax, and do I have to pay it?

You can find out more about the council tax and whether you and your family will have to pay it by downloading an information sheet which is available from our website.

You can also get information from Cardiff Council and from UKCISA.


Are my family entitled to receive healthcare in the UK?
Information is available from the Cardiff University Health Centre.

You can also get more information on health matters from UKCISA


Can my dependants work in the UK?

This will depend on the type of course you are studying and when you applied for your visa. For more information please go to the UKCISA web site.


Can my children attend state schools in the UK?

UK state schools are run by the local education authorities and are free up to the age of 16.

If your child is under 16 and will be with you in Cardiff as your dependant for more than 6 months then they should be able to go to a state school free of charge.

The state system is divided into 3 types of school

Nursery School (3-5 years of age)

Primary School (5-11 years of age)

Secondary School (11-16 years of age)

How can I find a school?

For further information and a list of the state schools in and around the Cardiff area visit the Cardiff Council web pages or telephone: 02920 872837.

Children for whom English is a second language

If you think your child will need support with their English Language, then this is available through Cardiff Councils’ Ethnic Minority Achievement Service and children are supported in their own school. Your child’s school teacher should be able to access this additional English language support for your child.

Further information

For further information on schooling in the UK you can look at the British Council's Education Information note Choosing a state funded school.

Childcare for pre-school children and childminders

University facilities

The University Daycare Centre provides childcare for children aged 10 weeks – 5years. It caters for up to 64 children and demand for places is extremely high. For more information go to the Daycare Centre web pages

Family Information Service

Cardiff Council's Family Information Service is designed to make it easy for parents to find all of the information they need about a broad range of services for children including a searchable childcare database. The Family Information Service Team are on hand to provide additional information, advice, guidance and support if you cannot find what you are looking for on their website or you need more detailed information. You can contact them on 02920 351700.

Private nurseries

For a list of private nurseries in the Cardiff area please go to the Cardiff Nurseries website


Childminders work form home providing childcare to children of various ages. Childminders must be registered and inspected regularly. For information go to the Cardiff Council website, or telephone 029 2035 1700.

Activities for children

Cardiff Council Family Information Service has details of a wide range of activities for children of all ages.

Classes for adults

English language classes

If your husband or wife’s first language is not English then they may be interested in taking classes to help them improve their skills through English for Speakers of other Languages (ESOL) classes 

Other types of part time courses for adults

Cardiff University Centre for Lifelong Learning offers a wide range of part time courses aimed at personal and professional development.

Family activities

If you would like some ideas for family activities in the Cardiff area please go to the Visit Wales website

Exploring Cardiff and Wales

Please click on the links below for information on places to see and things to do.

Places to visit

Things to do

Transport in Cardiff 

Get all of the information you need about travelling to, from and around Cardiff here.

Sport and leisure

Find information on Cardiff University sports facilities here.

More information on sports and leisure facilities in the Cardiff area is available here.

Faith and Religion

Cardiff University Chaplaincy is a place of friendship, hospitality, reflection, support, and dialogue. They offer opportunities for students and staff to relax and unwind and to explore faith and spirituality.

A comprehensive list of places of worship for those of all faiths in the Cardiff area is available here.