Working in the UK after you have completed your studies
If you are coming to the end of your studies, you might be considering the possibility of staying on in the UK to work. This section of the website explains some of the schemes that are likely to be of particular relevance to students at the end of their studies. Please click on the links below to find out more scheme specific information.
- Tier 1
- Tier 2
- Tier 4
- Tier 5
- Work experience - post doc
- Turkish Workers
- UK Ancestry
The details of the schemes change frequently, and this section does not provide a list of all schemes. For full details of all the options that could be available to you, see the Home Office website
- For some of the schemes, you might have to return to your home country to apply from there. This is because most of the schemes have strict rules about who is allowed to 'switch' from another immigration category (for example, 'student'), into the scheme whilst still in the UK.
- For many of the schemes, you must have successfully completed your course before you can apply to 'switch' into the scheme.
- If you want to stay in the UK under one of these schemes, you must make your application before your current permission to be here as a student expires.
- If you have been sponsored by a government or international scholarship agency for your studies, most of the schemes require that you obtain their written consent before you apply to stay on in the UK.