Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Working in the UK after you have completed your studies

If you are coming to the end of your studies, you might be considering staying in the UK to work. This section of the website explains some of the schemes that are likely to be of relevance to students at the end of their studies. Click on the links below for specific information.

Further information

Details of the schemes change frequently and this section does not provide a list of all schemes. For full details of all possible options see the Home Office website


  • For some schemes, you might have to return to your home country to apply. This is because there are strict rules about who is allowed to 'switch' from another immigration category into the scheme whilst still in the UK.
  • For many schemes, you must have successfully completed your course before you can apply.
  • If you want to and can remain in the UK under one of these schemes, you must make your application before your current Tier 4 (General) student visa expires.
  • If you have been sponsored by a government or international scholarship agency for your studies, most schemes require that you obtain their written consent before you apply.

For advice and guidance on your career plan, job search strategy and information on working in the UK after your studies, take advantage of Cardiff University Careers and Employability.


Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information herein, Cardiff University can accept no responsibility for errors or omissions.

Cardiff University is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites and does not necessarily endorse the views expressed within.

The government makes changes to the immigration rules and procedures on a regular basis; it is important that you check the current guidance and rules when applying for a visa. For further information visit UKCISA and the Home Office websites.