Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu



Having insurance is essential if you plan to drive in the UK and highly recommended to protect your personal belongings and perhaps you might also consider taking out insurance in case you are ill .

Motor insurance

All motorists in the UK are required by law to have valid insurance for the vehicle they are driving. 

Endsleigh Insurance is one of many companies to offer motor insurance.

More information on driving in the UK is available from UKCISA (The UK Council for International Student Affairs).

Personal possessions

We strongly encourage students to insure their personal possessions against damage, loss or theft.

If you live in Cardiff University residences, you are automatically given £4000 worth of personal possessions insurance cover from Endsleigh Insurance; you do not have to fill in any forms for this cover - it is automatic.

Details of what is covered by insurance can be found on the Endsleigh website.

If you are living in privately rented accommodation you should take out an insurance policy to cover at least all of the personal possessions in your room.

Again Endsleigh is one company that offers this type of insurance for students.


Endsleigh in association with UKCISA, has produced an insurance policy specifically designed for international students. Even if you entitled to free National Health Service treatment whilst in the UK, you should consider taking out insurance which covers the additional costs listed below.

  • Loss of fees if you are unable to complete your course
  • Additional treatment and medical expenses not covered by the National Health Service
  • Costs of returning home if a relative is taken ill
  • Costs of a relative visiting you in the UK if you fall ill
  • Returning to your home country for treatment

Further information

For information on policies that other insurance companies can offer international students please go to