Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


What type of study is a Tier 4 (General) student allowed do?

A Tier 4 (General) student must either be doing full-time study in the UK on:

  • a full-time course of study that leads to a UK recognised undergraduate or postgraduate degree; or
  • an overseas course of degree level study that is recognised as being equivalent to a UK Higher Education course and is being provided by an overseas Higher Education Institution; or
  • a full time course involving a minimum of 15 hours per week organised daytime study, leading to a qualification below degree level such as a pre-sessional English course.

Or undertaking:

  • a recognised Foundation programme as a postgraduate doctor or dentist in the UK;
  • work as a Student Union sabbatical officer.

The course must be provided by an institution which holds a Tier 4 (General) Student Sponsor Licence.


Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information herein, Cardiff University can accept no responsibility for errors or omissions.

Cardiff University is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites and does not necessarily endorse the views expressed.

The government makes changes to the immigration rules and procedures on a regular basis; it is important that you check the current guidance and rules. For further information visit UKCISA and the Home Office websites.