Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Taking an interruption of study or withdrawing from your course

If you wish to withdraw from your course or take an interruption of studies you should first discuss this with your personal tutor, supervisor, or a member of staff in your academic school office. They will be able to advise you on the university’s procedures.

If you do decide that withdrawing or taking an interruption of study is the best option, then as you were issued with a visa to study in the UK, the Home Office will expect you to return to your home country. 

Please read carefully our information on what happens if you are reported to the Home Office.  

If you have taken an interruption of studies you must apply for a Tier 4 (General) visa in your home country to return to the UK when you are able to resume your studies. 

You do not have to inform the Home Office if you withdraw or interrupt your studies as the university is required by law to to notify the Home Office of this change. 

You are strongly advised to discuss your situation with an International Student Adviser before making your final decision.


Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information herein, Cardiff University can accept no responsibility for errors or omissions.

Cardiff University is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites and does not necessarily endorse the views expressed.

The government makes changes to the immigration rules and procedures on a regular basis; it is important that you check the current guidance and rules. For further information visit UKCISA and the Home Office websites.