Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Making a change to your studies

These pages have been designed to offer information, advice and support to international students who are considering making, or who are required to make any changes to their studies, such as:

• Transferring to a new course at Cardiff University;
• Transferring to a new course at a different institution;
• Taking an interruption of study or withdrawing from their current course;
• Re-sitting exams or repeating modules.

Plus information for international students who have been de-registered due to:

• Non-payment of fees
• Unsatisfactory progress/attendance

It is important to remember that making any changes to your studies will have significant implications for your immigration status.

Immigration implications

If you are planning to make any changes to your studies, then it is extremely important to bear in mind that there are likely to be immigration implications.

Most changes will need to be reported to the Home Office however the procedures will differ depending on whether you applied for your current visa:
• before 5th October 2009; or
• on or after 5th October 2009.

Please click on the links below for more information on the procedures that apply to you. This is extremely important as failure to follow the correct procedures could cause you serious immigration problems in the future.

Information is available on your responsibilities and the university's duties as a Tier 4 sponsor.

We would strongly recommend that you discuss your situation with an International Student Adviser before making a final decision about changing your studies.


Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information herein, Cardiff University can accept no responsibility for errors or omissions.

Cardiff University is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites and does not necessarily endorse the views expressed within.

The government makes changes to the immigration rules and procedures on a regular basis, so it is important that you check the current guidance and rules. For further information visit UKCISA and the Home Office websites.