New PhD Studentship released
17 June 2013
Applicants are sought for a full-time PhD studentship, to be supervised by Professor Dinah Gould, looking at any translational aspect of infection prevention in the areas of service, education or policy development.
We are seeking a highly motivated and creative nurse, allied healthcare professional or social scientist with an interest in completing a PhD in an area that will strengthen or extend our programme of research. Informal enquiries should be made to: Rosemary Williams (williamsRC@cardiff.ac.uk)
The School of Nursing and Midwifery Studies
Cardiff is making a substantial investment in developing the health researchers of the future. Successful candidates will join our thriving postgraduate community and work in collaboration with renowned experts in their field. The School provides a stimulating and challenging environment and has strong links with the NHS, local practitioners and service providers and has a number of international partnerships. SONMS is recognized by PhD students as one of the top three departments within Cardiff University, providing high levels of overall student satisfaction. For further details see our web pages and our postgraduate research blog.
Funding and eligibility
Each studentship will commence in October 2012 and funding will cover UK/EU tuition fees, plus a maintenance stipend based on UK research council rates. In 2013/14 this will be £13,726.
We seeking exceptional applicants with a first-class or very good upper second Honors degree, with backgrounds in nursing, midwifery and/or the social sciences. Full-time applicants are preferred, however, part-time applications will be considered.
We encourage applicants to contact a research group lead for an informal discussion prior to making an application. Contact the School in the first instance. A completed application form (with all supporting documentation attached) for admission to doctoral study within the School of Nursing and Midwifery Studies and submit it to the Academic Registry via the online admissions portal (Please specify a start date of October 2013)
In the 'Funding' section of the Online Application Form, please indicate which studentship you are applying for. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Contact: Rosemary Williams - firstname.lastname@example.org
Please ensure your application and all supporting documents reach us no later than 1st August 2013.
The Cardiff University package of support for postgraduate researchers and research only staff was shortlisted in the 2010 Times Higher Education Award for “Outstanding Support for Early Career Researchers”. In addition, Cardiff University has also won a coveted place in the national network of training centres accredited by the ESRC, the Wales Doctoral Training Centre to support doctoral training and research (http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/for/prospective/pg/funding/esrc/). It includes:
• MSc in Research Methods, which offers ESRC- accredited modules
• University Graduate College offers workshops and courses in research skills and techniques, as well as broader areas of research management and professional development.
• Wider researcher development opportunities include involvement in organizing and attending student-led conferences and, the opportunity to obtain funding for student-led interdisciplinary activities to enhance the research environment.
• School research events include the (student led) annual PGR symposium, internal seminar programme and regular workshops, for example, examining research ethics and writing research protocols.
Each student benefits from
• Their own desk, storage space and a networked computer for their exclusive use within the dedicated PGR suite, situated within the heart of the School.
• Receive formal supervision from a lead supervisor who has an international research profile, meeting regularly for formal supervision sessions. We operate an open door policy for supervision.
• Provided with opportunities to contribute to teaching and lecturing.
• Access to financial support for fieldwork and attending conferences.