Inter-professional Practice Based Learning
24th, 25th, 26th June 2013
School of Healthcare Studies, Heath Park campus
Dawn Sparg email@example.com
This multi-disciplinary course is at an introductory level and is designed to prepare the healthcare professional for practice education of undergraduate students. The aim is to enable practitioners in any of the Healthcare Professions to develop their teaching, assessment and supervision skills.
This course is run by Postgraduate & Continuing Education Department at SOHCS, over 3 consecutive days followed by half day assessment 3-9 months after the initial programme.
It is important to note that participants are required to supervise/facilitate at least one student placement to be eligible for the assessment and that the assessment must be completed no longer than 12 months after attending the taught programme.
Programme Leader- Lynn Mundy, Lecturer in Radiotherapy, with lecturers in Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy and Operating department Practitioners
(as identified by the Chartered Society of Physiotherapists, the College of Occupational Therapists and the College of Radiographers)
• Describe the role and identify the attributes of an effective practice placement educator.
• Apply learning theories that at are appropriate for adult and professional learners.
• Reflect on experience and formulate action plans to improve future practice.
• Plan, implement and facilitate learning in the practice placement setting.
• Apply sound principles and judgement in the assessment of performance in the practice placement setting.
• Evaluate the learning experience.
The preparation of participants to educate students in the workplace. On successful completion of the assessment, participants will be awarded a certificate which may be used for CPD portfolios. Also, where applicable, professional accreditation with the relevant Professional Governing body (Ace, Apple, PEAS), will be recommended.
* Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, Diagnostic Radiographers, Therapeutic Radiographers & Operating Department Practitioners who undertake fieldwork/clinical education of students from the School of Healthcare Studies, Cardiff University will be given a complementary place.