Mr Michael Donnelly
Telephone:+ 44 (0)29 208 76217
Address:2.22 Glamorgan Building
- 2003 – 2006: BA (Hons) Educational Studies (First Class), Lancaster University
- 2007 – 2008: MSc Social Science Research Methods, Cardiff University (Dissertation – School Level Factors Associated with Entry to Prestigious Universities)
- 2008 – present: PhD Education, Cardiff University
- E.S.R.C. 1 + 3 Quota Award for MSc and PhD research
- Participation within higher education, in particular entry to elite universities
- School-level Information, advice and guidance on higher education
- School-level processes and higher education entry
- Education policy
- Sociology of education in general
PhD Topic/ Area
My initial Master’s research examined: ‘School – Level Factors Associated with Entry to Prestigious Universities’
This study highlighted the differences that exist between state schools in terms of the information, advice, and guidance which they provide to their students. It was found that such differing levels of support were associated with entry to prestigious universities.
The PhD study which I am now engaged in takes these findings a step further in order to provide a more comprehensive analysis of how the school might influence a student’s choice of university.