Dr Jane Salisbury
Formerly a state school teacher of upper secondary and sixth form college students Jane joined Cardiff University as a tutorial fellow in 1990 to study for a PhD with Sara Delamont. In 1993 she was appointed to a lecturer post in the Cardiff University School of Education where she taught on the M Ed programme and PGCE (FE) courses. Her interests in qualitative methods, post 16 education and training and the occupational socialisation of teachers have continued across her HE career to date. These interests are reflected in research projects, doctoral supervisions and written outputs.
- 1977 Bachelor of Education: English, Textiles
- 1986 Master of Education: Sociology and Psychology of Education.
- 1994 PhD: Sociology of Education. University of Wales, Cardiff
Awards and Prizes
- 1986 Kate Naughton Prize for Masters’ dissertation: “ Classroom interaction in Adult Education “ External examiner, Prof. Bob Burgess .
- 1976 Textiles Prize winner group exhibition at Foyles of London
- 1973 Soroptomist Prize for VIth Form student at Barry Girls Grammar school
Memberships / External Activities
- 2008-current Member of the ESRC Commissioning panel for Research Capacity Building networks in England.
- 2007-current Member of the Editorial Board of the Welsh Journal of Educational Studies.
- 2007-2008 Vice chair of the ESRC / HEFCW funded Welsh Education Research Network-WERN
- 2006-2010 External Examiner at City University, London.
- 2006-2007 Member of Advisory group for ESRC /TLRP research project “Bilingual Literacies for Learning”
- 2002-2007 Member of the ESRC Annual Studentship Assessor teams
- 1998-current Member of the Wales Assembly of Women
- 1985-1998 Member of the Wales Women’s Rights Committee
- 1984-current Member of the British Educational Research Association
Current Teaching Includes:
- Education and Society - Level 1;
- Contemporary Sociology of Education - Level 2;
- Social Science Research Methods: Qualitative module –Level M;
- PGCE (FE) Sociological Perspectives on Education and Training- Level M;
- Qualitative Research Methods - Level D.
Supervision of PhDs in the Following Areas:
- Language, Markets and choice in post 16 education
- Looked after children and differential Attainment
- Prison Education /Adult learning
- Learning in Apprenticeships/ Workplace learning;
- Education of EAL pupils
- Occupational Socialisation of teachers;
- Educational choices and decision making
- Impacts of Curriculum 2000 on gender participation.
- 2007-current Member of the Management Board of School of Social Sciences
- 2007-current Chair of Professional Programmes - MSc Social Work; PGCE FE M level courses
- 2000-2005 Coordinator of Graduate Research Studies in the Social Sciences, Cardiff University.
- 2001-2004 Staff representative member of the Management Board of School of Social Sciences
- 1996-2000 Coordinator of Graduate Research Studies of the School of Education, Cardiff University