Prof Theo Nichols
Telephone:+44 (0)29 208 76326
Fax:+44 (0)29 208 74175
Address:59 Park Place
Theo Nichols has a range of both qualitative and quantitative interests in economic sociology/political economy: particular interests in the labour process (including occupational health and safety), the study of different sectors, and comparative studies of state, capital and labour relations in various countries, especially Turkey and China.
Recently conducted research projects include:
- a study of management strategy and employee relations in the modern sector in Turkey;
- a comparative study of white goods production, management methods and the condition of labour in the white goods sector in Brazil, China, South Korea, Taiwan, Turkey and the UK;
- a study of the international maritime car carrier sector, its dynamics and the condition of labour;
- a study of health and safety provision and its determinants and outcomes in 15 UK workplaces;
- a study the role of trade unions in the determination of workplace injury in UK manufacturing.
[details of the outputs from these studies are to be found under Publications, together where appropriate with the names of collaborators]