Prof Mike Maguire
Telephone:+44 (0)29 208 74774
Fax:+44 (0)29 208 74175
Address:0.74 Glamorgan Building, Email contact preferred
Desistance from crime, particularly the resettlement of prisoners. Specific interest in mentoring and the role of the Third Sector.
Policing and crime control, especially ‘targeted’ and ‘intelligence led’ policing, ‘risk’ based crime control strategies, and partnership between police, criminal justice and other agencies. Research interests have spanned the reasons for these developments, their ‘effectiveness’ in relation to crime, and issues of regulation and accountability.
Devolution and crime control. Professor Maguire is Director of the Welsh Centre for Crime and Social Justice which links seven universities in Wales and has close links with the Scottish Centre for Crime and Justice.
Main Research Grants 2001-10
- 2010 (with Aberystwyth and 3 other Welsh HEIs) Establishment of Welsh Centre for Crime and Social Justice (HEFCW’s Strategic Development Fund).
- 2008 (with H. Pierpoint and CRG) Fine Payment Work Process Study (Ministry of Justice).
- 2008 (with K. Holloway and ARCS) Evaluation of Transitional Support Scheme (Welsh Assembly Government)
- 2003-06: South-West Integration Project (various funders)
- 2002-04: Prisoner Resettlement Pathfinders Phase 2 (Home Office)
- 2000-03: Targeted Policing (3 projects, Home Office)
- 1999-02: Prisoner Resettlement Pathfinders Phase 1 (Home Office)
Current Research Projects
Recently completed various studies relating to the resettlement of prisoners, with a special focus on mentoring. Awaiting results of further bids in this area. Consultant to a large-scale study on prisoners and mental health (Plymouth University and others). Also awaiting result of ESRC bid with Edinburgh University on ‘Crime control and devolution’.