Prof Barbara Adam
My entire academic career has been developed at Cardiff University. As a mature student (1980-1983) and PhD (1983-1987) with two children I was not free to make career moves to other universities. From 1988 onwards I have been employed as an academic by Cardiff University and since 1999 I have held a Personal Chair in sociology at the University’s School of Social Sciences.
Since 2011 Emerita Professor at Cardiff University and Schumacher Distinguished Fellow at Schumacher Institute, Bristol University.
Awards and Prizes
- 2009 AcSS, Academician of the Academy of Social Sciences
- 2007 DScEcon, Cardiff University
- 1995, J T Fraser Prizeawarded for monograph Timewatch. The Social Analysis of Time by the International Society for the Study of Time for `A Book of Excellence in Time Studies’
- 1990, Philip Abrams Memorial Prizeawarded for monograph Time and Social Theory by the British Sociological Association for `Best First Book’
1994-6 ESRC Fellowship - Global Environmental Change Initiative (L32027312593) Mapping the Environment: Temporal and Spatial Problems for the Social Sciences. £ 64,380.
1996-9 EEC-funded Project – 4th Framework (ST96 AM601) Policy Assessment of Trans-European Networks & Common Transport Policy TENASSES (11 partners, total budget ECU 1.2 Million) ECU 28,000 for time consultancy.
1999 ESRC Pilot Project Bridging Time Theory and Practice: Exploring Time Politics for the Food System (R000222946 - 07-10/99) £ 21,730.
2001-3 EU 5th Framework Foresight for Transport (GMA2/2000/32057, 5 partners, total budget EU 1.4 Million) EU 121,200 for Cardiff time expertise.
2003-7 ESRC Professorial Fellowship (RES-051-27-0049), In Pursuit of the Future, £ 350,000 plus additional 3-year PhD studentship.
1999 - 2000 Max Weber Professor, Ludwig-Maximilians-University, Munich, Germany
2009 Professorial Fellow – University Cagliari, Sardinia
2010 Distinguished Professorial Fellow – IAS Durham University
2011 Schumacher Distinguished Fellow – Schumacher Institute, Bristol University
Memberships / External Activities
- 1992 Founder Editor of the international, trans-disciplinary Journal Time & Society