If we do not have the book you need in Cardiff, you may be able to get it from another library through inter-library loan, or visit a library that has it, under the SCONUL Access scheme.
- LibrarySearch - search the Cardiff University library catalogue for books and journal articles.
- Other local libraries - links to other academic libraries in Cardiff, Wales and south-west England.
- COPAC - union catalogue of the Consortium of University Research Libraries, giving access to the online catalogues of most major UK research libraries.
- British Library - the national copyright library, which holds all material published in the UK, as well as foreign publications.
- School of Advanced Study, University of London - combined catalogue of several research institutes, including the Institute of Classical Studies and the Warburg Institute. A good place to track down books on Classical subjects.
- Oxford University library catalogue - search all the libraries at Oxford, including the Bodleian Library (a UK copyright library) and the Sackler Library (the library for classics, archaeology and art history).
- Cambridge University library catalogue - search the University Library (a UK copyright library) or the specialist holdings of the Classics Faculty and other departments.
- AMBROSIA - the combined catalogue of the libraries of the British and American Schools in Athens.
- URBS - the combined library catalogue of research institutes in Rome, including the Vatican and the British, American, German and French Schools.
- ARCHway - locate archaeological journals in libraries anywhere in Britain.
Subscription-only resources can be accessed from outside the University using your network username and password — see Off-Campus Access to Electronic Resources for instructions.
- Cardiff University e-journal portal - list of all the electronic journals available through Cardiff University libraries.
- JSTOR - electronic journal archive, containing back-issues of major periodicals (Cardiff users only).
- Persée - digitised content from several major French journals, including Dialogues d'Histoire Ancienne, Bulletin de Correspondance Hellénique, and publications of the École Française de Rome.
Bibliographic databases and other resources
- L'Année Philologique - the main bibliographic database for classics, ancient history and classical archaeology; includes books (with references to reviews) and articles (often with a brief summary).
- SOLO: Search Oxford Libraries Online - database that allows you to search for journal articles as well as books held by Oxford University.
- ZENON - union catalogue of the German Archaeological Institutes around the Mediterranean, including articles in journals and edited volumes as well as books.
- TOCS-IN - Belgian site where you can search the contents of over 180 classical journals; the English-language mirror site only includes journals from 1992 onwards.
- Bryn Mawr Classical Review - online reviews of new books about classics, ancient history and classical archaeology.
- Google Books - if you can't find a book in the library, you can often read it here.
- Google Scholar - search for books and articles.
- Journal abbreviations - if you've ever been puzzled by JRS, BCH, BAR or PBSR, here is a list of standard abbreviations for the titles of journals and other important publications, from the American Journal of Archaeology.
- Even more journal abbreviations - if you can't find the title you're looking for in the AJA list, try the fuller list from L'Année Philologique.