Dr Panagiota Manti
Education and Qualifications
Ph.D. in Conservation Shiny Helmets: investigation of tinning, manufacture and corrosion of Greek helmets (7th-5th c. BC). SHARE, Cardiff University, UK, (2012).
Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education (Module 1), Cardiff University, (2012)
M.Sc. in Archaeological Science, Dissertation: Chemical analysis of Egyptian faience and reconstruction of faience production methods. Research Laboratory for Archaeology and the History of Art (RLAHA), University of Oxford, UK (2003-04).
B.Sc. (First Class Honours) in Archaeological Conservation HISAR, Cardiff University of Wales, UK (2000-03).
Diploma in Conservation of Artefacts & Archaeology, Thessaloniki, Greece (1995-97).
I have undertaken conservation work in Greece (Pella), Egypt (Saqqara) and Italy (Florence) (since 1997). During 2005-09, I worked as a student teacher, professional tutor and associate lecturer in conservation at HISAR. I was appointed as an Early Career Lecturer in 2009.
- Sept 2009-present Lecturer in Heritage Science, SHARE, Department of Archaeology & Conservation, Cardiff University, UK
- Sept 2005-2009 Student Tutor in Conservation, HISAR, Archaeology & Conservation, Cardiff University
- Oct-May 2007 Associate Lecturer in Conservation, HISAR, Cardiff University (6 months full time sabbatical cover)
- Jan - Jun 2005 Professional Tutor in Conservation, HISAR, Cardiff University (part-time maternity-leave cover).
- Oct 1997 – 2005 Contracted Archaeological Conservator for the 17th Department of Pre-historic & Classical Archaeology, Ministry of Culture, Greece [IZ’ EΠΚΑ].
Teaching and Supervision
- Practical Projects 1 - 40 credits (HS2330)
- Practical Projects 2 - 40 credits (HS2331)
Laboratories: Materials Laboratory, room 2.27b and Microscopy Laboratory, room 3.08
Please contact me for matters related to the use of these facilities.
Library Representative for Archaeology and Conservation.
Year 1 tutor in Archaeology and Conservation.
Deputy Exams Officer for Archaeology and Conservation.
Elected Representative of Early Career Lecturers at SHARE.
Early materials technology and conservation Research Cluster coordinator
- Peer reviewed access to ISIS and Diamond STFC facilities:
- MT6617 B18 XAS analysis. Project: Development of copper nanoparticles in medieval window glass: rediscovering a lost technology J.J. Kunicki-Goldfinger (PI), I. Freestone, A. Smith, P. Manti (COI), May 2011
- RB720553 (Principle Investigator), 1-day beamtime on GEM instrument. Project: Tinning and tin-enrichment of archaic Greek copper alloy helmets, Spring 2008
- RB610547, 4-days beamtime on ROTAX instrument. Project: Systematic examination of ancient Greek copper alloy helmets, October 2006
- Small scale grants (up to £1000) for participation to conferences, schools and workshops, and expenses related to my PhD research including support from COST G8, STFC SRS Daresbury Laboratory, English Heritage, and the Postgraduate Quality Committee Fund, HISAR, Cardiff University.
- School of History and Archaeology, Cardiff University, Postgraduate Scholarship, January 2005-2009.
- Edward Hall Scholar, Keble College, Oxford 2003-2004.
- Atkinson Prize for best degree in HISAR 2003.
International Institute for Conservation (IIC)
Institute of Conservation (ICON)
The Historical Metallurgy Society (HMS)
The Society for Archaeological Sciences (SAS)
The Chemical Database Service (CDS), EPSRC/STFC, registered local contact for SHARE
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA)
Oral Presentations, Posters and Reviews
- Manti, P. (2012). Access to student theses: current situation at Cardiff University. Invited oral contribution at the IIC 2012 Website and Student Papers Meeting. Chelsea College of Art & Design, London 4-5th April 2012
- Manti, P. and Kockelmann, W. (2011) Identification of tinning on corroded archaeological bronzes: the Cu6Sn5 phase 'problem'. Invited oral presentation at the ‘Applied Physical Crystallography’ Winter Meeting of the ISIS Crystallography User Group & the Physical Crystallography Group of the British Crystallographical Association and the Structural Condensed Matter Physics Group of the Institute of Physics. The Cosener’s House, Abingdon, Oxon, 3&4 November 2011.
- Manti, P. Henderson, J. and Watkinson, D. (2011). Reflective practice in conservation education. Oral presentation at the ICOM-CC 16th Triennial Conference, Lisbon, Portugal, September 19-23, 2011.
- Manti, P. (2011). Identification of tinning on archaeological bronzes: new evidence and current research. Oral presentation at the Cardiff University Conservation at the Cutting Edge: A one day alumni CPD event. Cardiff University 1st July 2011.
- Manti, P. Henderson, J. Watkinson, D. (2011). Reflective Practice in Conservation Education: tools and challenges in developing reflective learners. Oral presentation delivered at PCUTL Project Presentation Event, Cardiff University, 12 January 2011
- Manti, P. and Watkinson, D. (2010). Hot-tinning of low tin bronzes. Oral presentation at the Metal 2010, Interim Meeting of the ICOM-CC Metal Working Group, Charleston, South Carolina, USA, 11-15 Oct. 2010.
- Manti P. (2009). Book Review :Vitreous Material in the Late Bronze Age Aegean: A Window to the East Mediterranean World, edited by Caroline M. Jackson and Emma C. Wager, Sheffield Studies in Aegean Archaeology Series 9, Oxford: Oxbow Books, 2008. in Glass News 26 (July 2009), p15-16. Published by The Association for the History of Glass ISSN 1362-5195
- Manti P., Watkinson D., Kockelmann W., and Pantos E. (2008). Bronze helmets, tinning and neutrons. Paper delivered at SRA 2008, Synchrotron Radiation in Art and Archaeology, Barcelona, Spain, 22-24 October 2008.
- Manti P., Nicholson P. T., Smith A., Ellis M., Mosselmans F., Pradell T. and Pantos E. (2008). The craft and science of Egyptian Faience: the case of the Step Pyramid tiles. Paper delivered at SRA 2008, Synchrotron Radiation in Art and Archaeology, Barcelona, Spain, 22-24 October 2008.
- Manti, P. (2008). Egyptian faience: old questions and new techniques. Paper delivered at Synchrotron Radiation User Meeting 2008. Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington.11-12 September 2008.
- Manti, P. (2008). Looking into the technology of ancient Greek helmets: the case of tinning. Paper delivered at Archaeometry and Heritage Science. Icon Archaeology and Science Groups. HISAR, Cardiff University, 9-10 July 2008.
- Manti, P. (2008). Ancient Greek Helmets: the journey of a research project. Paper delivered at Conservation Matters in Wales: Wales, The International Dimension. Oakdale Institute Museum of National History, St. Fagans Museum, Cardiff, 12 June 2008.
- Manti P. (2008). Material Culture and Scientific Analyses: The Study of Ancient Greek Helmets. Paper delivered at the Cardiff Interdisciplinary Colloquium on Material Culture. Cardiff Student Union Graduate Centre, Cardiff University, 23 January 2008.
- Manti P., Nicholson P. T., Smith A., Ellis M., Mosselmans F., Pradell T. and Pantos E. (2008). The craft and science of Egyptian Faience: the case of the Step Pyramid tiles. Poster presented at The Second British Egyptological Conference. SACE, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, 14-16 March 2008.
- Manti P. and Watkinson D. (2008). “A hundred ways to repair a helmet.” Ancient and modern repairs on bronze helmets. Poster presented at Holding it all together: ancient and modern approaches to joining, repair and consolidation. The British Museum, London, 21 and 22 February 2008.
- Manti P., Nicholson P. T., Smith A., Ellis M., Mosselmans F., Pradell T. and Pantos E. (2008). The art and science of ancient Egyptian faience: the Step Pyramid tiles. Poster presented at The Art of Hard Science. STFC Daresbury Laboratory and Science and Heritage Program. Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, 12 February 2008. (http://www.srs.ac.uk/art_of_hard_science/posters.htm )
- Bidaud E., Manti P., Benedetti D.P., Smith A.D. and Pantos E. (2008). Conservation Work and Synchrotron Sources: an Unrealistic Joint Venture? Poster presented at The Art of Hard Science. STFC Daresbury Laboratory and Science and Heritage Program. Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, 12 February 2008. (http://www.srs.ac.uk/art_of_hard_science/posters.htm )
- Manti P. (2007). Designing a research project: Samples, Sampling and analysis. Paper delivered at Cardiff University Conservation Research Seminars. Cardiff University, 1 November 2007.
- Manti P., Watkinson D., Kockelmann W. and Pantos E. (2007). Technological investigations and corrosion analysis of Archaic Greek helmets: preliminary results. Poster presented at HSC5: Synchrotron Radiation and Neutrons for Cultural Heritage Studies. Hercules Specialized Course. Part of the Marie Curie Conferences and Training Courses. European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF) Grenoble, France, 7-13 October 2007.
- Manti P. and Watkinson D. (2007). Examination of Greek bronze helmets: sampling and project design. Paper delivered at Metal 07. The ICOM-CC Metal Working Group International Triennial Meeting. Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, 17-21 September 2007. (Proceedings published)
- Manti P. and Gosling J. (2007). Challenges on the conservation of decorated bronzes from the Sacred Animal Necropolis At North Saqqara, Egypt. Poster presented at Decorated Surfaces on Ancient Egyptian Objects: Technology, Deterioration And Conservation. ICON Archaeology Group and the Fitzwilliam Museum, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, 7 – 8 September 2007 (p. 175 in ISBN 9781904982579) Eds. Julie Dawson, Christina Rozeik, Margot M. Wright, Archetype Publications, 2011
- Manti P. (2007). Analysis of ancient Greek helmets: challenges faced and work update. Paper delivered at the Cardiff School of History and Archaeology Postgraduate Seminar Series. Cardiff University, 9 May 2007.
- Manti P. and Watkinson D. (2006). From Homer to hoplite: scientific investigations of Greek copper alloy helmets. Paper delivered at Science and Technology in Homeric Epics, An International Symposium, Ancient Olympia, Greece, 27-30 August 2006.
- Manti P., Watkinson D., Kockelmann W. and Pantos E. (2006). Technological investigations and corrosion analysis of Archaic Greek helmets: preliminary results. Poster presented at Cultural Heritage and Science: An Interdisciplinary Approach for the Conservation of Museum Objects, Ghent University, Belgium, 5-7 December 2006. (Proceedings published as CD-ROM).
- Manti P., Watkinson D., Kockelmann W. and Pantos E. (2006). Technological investigations and corrosion analysis of Archaic Greek helmets. Poster presented at Looking Forward to the Past: Science and Heritage, a one day meeting. Tate Modern, London, 28 November 2006. (Proceedings published as CD-ROM). http://www.srs.ac.uk/scienceandheritage/
- Bidaud E., Benedetti D., Bugoi R., Comendador B., Goidanich S., Gutiérrez P.C., Garipoli D., Manti P., Mifsud T., Urbina V., Kockelmann W., Smith A.D., Bahrami F., MacDonald M.A., Bell A.M.T., Rizkallah P., Jones R.J., and Pantos E. (2006). The COST-G8 Master Class on SR in Cultural Heritage at DL-SRS and RAL-ISIS. Poster presented at SRA 2006, Synchrotron Radiation in Art and Archaeology, Berlin, Germany, 27-29 September 2006