Manual Handling Services
Manual Handling Team
The Manual Handling team are supervised by the Portering Coordinator, Terry Burnett. They are responsible for routine moves of small furniture, desks, chairs, computers, books, equipment, etc. They will also undertake tasks of delivering internal parcels and collecting confidential waste, provided that the work is within campus boundaries.
Work outside the campus boundaries and out of normal working hours can only be completed by prior arrangement with the Portering Coordinator. Please note that the Manual Handling team do not work after 4:30pm. It is important that any services required are pre-booked a minimum of one week in advance in order to allow the Coordinator time to plan the work. Also note that periods just before and just after examinations are extremely busy for the team, and that your task may be postponed if it falls within this period.
For further information in regards to the procedure for ordering Manual Handling services, please contact the Manual Handling team using the details to the right.
How to order Manual Handling and Portering Services
- In the first instance you should contact the ‘Portering Services’ or Manual Handling team to discuss and agree the service to be provided.
- If the service is chargeable, then you will be advised to raise a requisition on Oracle.
- Your booking will not be treated as confirmed until ‘Portering Services’ receive the Purchase Order.
- After the Purchase Order has been sent to ‘Portering Services’, any amendments to the numbers required or the service to be provided should be agreed directly with the ‘Portering Services’.
- After the service has been provided, ‘Portering Services’ will send you confirmation of the service actually provided and the final charges for this. The order should not be receipted until you have received these details.
- If you agree with these details, please receipt the order on the basis of the breakdown of final charges. Any queries should be referred back to the ‘Portering Services’.
- Once it has been receipted, you need to check that the Purchase Order is closed on Oracle, otherwise your encumbrances may be affected.
- If the final breakdown of service provided and associated charges differ from the original requisition, then you will need to action a Purchase Order Change Request.