The Building Porters are supervised by the Services Manager. Their hours of duty are 7:30am to 10:00pm, Monday to Thursdays and 7:30am to 9:30pm on Fridays. Their duties include:
- Opening and securing nominated University premises in accordance with procedures.
- Provision of Receptionist duties in nominated buildings, including custody of keys, keeping of records and dealing with visitors.
- Assisting disabled persons and controlling access to the building.
- Assisting in the evacuation of buildings by directing staff to the appropriate assembly area.
- Checking all lift emergency telephones.
- Testing of fire alarm panel, as directed by the Head of Security & Portering Services.
- Directing deliveries to Schools and Divisions.
- Obtaining a signature from a departmental source for those deliveries to the Porter which require a departmental signature.