The Neuroscience and Mental Health Research Institute links expertise in neuroscience and mental health from across the University.
The Research Institute is a joint collaboration between the University’s School of Medicine, School of Psychology, School of Biosciences and School of Optometry and Vision Sciences.
The Research Institute will also work closely with the MRC Centre for Neuropsychiatric Genetics & Genomics to help support existing discovery and translational research leading to greater understanding of mental illness.
The Research Institute will build on and develop further the work of the virtual Cardiff Neurosciences Centre helping to encourage networking, facilitate new ideas and helps promote interdisciplinary research across all neuroscience.
The Research Institute will also work alongside researchers at Cardiff University’s Brain Research Imaging Centre (CUBRIC) and The Experimental MRI Centre (EMRIC) which offers the latest in brain imaging techniques.
Other Schools associated with the Research Institute include the School of Computer Sciences, School of Nursing and Midwifery Studies, Wales Gene Park and the Wales Epilepsy Research Network.
Charities, Trusts and Organisations
The Research Institute will continue to work with key external Charities, Trusts and Organisations. Partners include:
The Research Institute will continue to work with and secure external research funding. The Research Institute will work alongside partners including:
- Medical Research Council (MRC)
- The Wellcome Trust
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)
- The Royal Society
- The National Assembly for Wales
- Welsh Assembly Government
- Action Medical Research
- The Severnside Alliance for Translational Research (SARTRE)
The Research Institute will also continue to work alongside external companies including:
- GlaxoSmithKline Research and Development Ltd
- Astrazeneca UK Ltd
- Brucker Biospin Ltd
- Cambridge Cognition
- Pfizer Ltd
- The European Commission
The Neuroscience and Mental Health Research Institute will continue to develop neuroscience links with other UK Universities, in particular through their Neuroscience research centres:
- Cardiff School of Medicine
- Cardiff School of Psychology
- Cardiff School of Biosciences
- Cardiff School of Optometry and Vision Sciences
- Cardiff School of Computer Science
- Cardiff School of Nursing and Midwifery Studies
- MRC Centre for Neuropsychiatric Genetics & Genomics
- Cardiff University's Brain Research Imaging Centre (CUBRIC)
- The Experimental MRI Centre (EMRIC)
- Wales Gene Park
- Wales Epilepsy Research Network
- Bristol-Cardiff Neuroscience Collaboration (BCNC)
- Postgraduate Cardiff Neuroscience Society (PCNS)
- Society for Neuroscience (SfN) Wales Chapter