Procedure for Exclusion from Research Study
[Extract from Academic Regulations Handbook]
Failure on the part of any research student to comply with the University's monitoring requirements, or failure to maintain progress to the satisfaction of the relevant School Committee, may lead to his/her exclusion from research study.
2. Where a student's progress is a matter for concern, the Supervisor shall inform the student directly. Depending on the degree of concern, the Supervisor may either:
2.1 warn the student, orally, or
2.2 ask the Director of Postgraduate Research Studies to interview the student and to issue him/her with a formal written warning, signed by the Head of School, stating that his/her failure to comply with the University's Monitoring requirements/lack of academic progress, may lead to his/her exclusion from research study. A copy of the written warning must be placed on the student's School file and a copy sent to the Director of Registry, for the attention of the Graduate Development Committee.
3. A research student who has received written warning from the Head of School shall be given at least three months in which to demonstrate compliance/improvement.
4. At the end of the three months' warning period, the Supervisor shall recommend to the Head of School, via the Director of Postgraduate Research Studies, either:
4.1 that the warning be lifted, or
4.2 that the warning be extended for a further period of three months, or
4.3 that the student be excluded from research study.
5. No research student shall remain under warning for more than six consecutive months. At the end of six months, a decision about his/her future status must be made by the School Committee/Panel appointed by the Head of School for this purpose.
6. Recommendations for the termination of research students' registration shall be referred to the School Committee/Panel appointed by the Head of School for this purpose.
7. The School Committee/Panel shall meet to consider recommendations from Supervisors for the termination of a student's registration.
8. The Head of School shall notify the student, in writing, that a formal recommendation for his/her exclusion from research study has been made. The Head of School shall invite the student (i) to submit to him/her any written information that he/she wishes to be put before the relevant School Committee/Panel and (ii) to attend the meeting of the School Committee/Panel, in person, to present his/her case against exclusion.
9. The student shall be given 10 clear days' notice, in writing, of the meeting that will consider the recommendation for his/her exclusion. The notice shall be sent Recorded Delivery.
10. Where a student fails to respond to the Head of School's invitation, or elects not to attend the exclusion meeting, the School Committee/Panel may proceed to consider the recommendation for exclusion in his/her absence.
11. The student shall be informed, in writing, by the Head of School, of the decision reached by the School Committee/Panel in his/her case.