Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


How to prove you are a student

You may be required to prove you are a student in order to access certain facilities outside of the University. One form of proof is your student card and this may be accepted in shops, rail-cards etc. However, for some services a formal letter from the University will need to be produced.

In order to receive a letter you must have completed online enrolment and collected your student card.

Bank Letter

Some International/EU students require a letter to open a bank account which you can obtain from one of the venues below.

Cathays Park based Students  
Students' Union, 4th Floor, Park Place, Cardiff, CF10 3AT. (map ref: 38)

Monday 16th September 2013 - Thursday 3rd October 2013 (including weekend of 21st-22nd September 2013)

Opening times: 9.30am - 4.30pm

Heath Park based Students  
Heath Sports Hall, Heath Sports and Social Club, UHW, Heath Park, Cardiff, CF14 4XW. (map ref:117)

Monday 23rd September 2013 - Wednesday 25th September 2013 (Heath park students are also welcome to attend the Cathays Park venue)

Opening times: 9.00am - 4.30pm

Outside of these dates, you can request a bank letter through SIMS, which will be sent to your term time address as held on the student records system.

Please note, you name as recorded on SIMS must be identical to your name as it appears in your passport in order to open a bank account. Further information is available on the Opening a Bank Account page.

Council Tax Certificates

Full time Cardiff University students living in private accommodation may be eligible to receive a Council Tax Certificate. These will be issued to the term time address of eligible students from mid October 2013. If you have not received one by the end of October, you can apply for a Council Tax certificate via SIMS online from November 2013.


Proof of Enrolment letter

Some other services may just require formal proof in writing that you are a student. You can request a proof of enrolment letter, which will confirm that you are a registered student of the university for the academic year, via SIMS and this will be sent to your term time address (again this is only available outside the dates above).