Stage 1 - The Identification of a Need
Checklist of factors to consider in this stage include:
- What is the idea or concept?
- Is a general description of the overall project available?
- Has the need been researched and justified?
- Is the project consistent with the University’s strategy?
- Is the project consistent with the School’s/Directorate’s strategy or plans?
- Have you thought about what will not be covered as part of the project, but might be expected to be included by others?
- Who else needs to be involved in the project from within and outside of the University?
- Has the cost benefit to the University been identified taking into account any longer-term recurrent costs e.g. staffing, as well as shorter-term capital costs e.g. accommodation, equipment?
- What is the impact of the investment on the University’s budget?
- Have the major opportunities and risks associated with the project been taken into account?
- Are the appropriate internal resources (including time, personnel and/or skills) available to progress Stage 2 and subsequent stages of the project?
- Have you considered how much leeway there is within the project for e.g. timeframe, costs, and quality?
- What else may need to be considered at this early stage to pre-empt what your decision-making body may require?