Pharmacist Independent Prescribing
Pharmacist Independent prescribing aims to provide patients with quicker and more efficient access to medicines and to make the best use of the skills of pharmacists. This forms part of the National Health Service modernisation agenda as recommended in the Crown Report published in 1999 (Review of Prescribing Supply and Administration of Medicines).
Since commencing the first training programme in 2004, more than 275 pharmacists and nurses have successfully achieved Independent Prescriber status. The next course is scheduled to start in autumn 2015. Those qualifying from this course will be able to practice as Independent Prescribers.
Cardiff School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences has developed the programme to prepare pharmacists to practise as Independent Prescribers and to meet the relevant standards set by the GPhC. Furthermore, this seven month programme develops the critical analysis and personal reflection skills of course participants and prepares them for lifelong professional development.
The programme consists of:
- 12 Study days (4 x 3 day blocks) at Cardiff University where topics such as communication, consultation process, decision-making, clinical patient assessment, and clinical governance will be covered.
- The equivalent of 12 days (as a minimum) learning in practice, developing clinical assessment and prescribing skills under the supervision of the Designated Supervising Medical Practitioner (DSMP). This equates to 90 hours based upon the GPhC requirements.
- An extensive amount of study time including self directed, or course/DSMP directed study, assignment writing and completion of a Prescribing Portfolio.
Some of the highlights of the programme from previous students:
- Learning so many new skills in a relaxed teaching environment and making friends with a great group of people.
- I enjoyed each day and found the topics relevant and practical.
- As I live quite a distance from Cardiff it was very useful to have the three days together. Also having the three study days together meant that we were able to gather more information allowing us to better plan the time spent in work.
- Plenty of time to practice clinical patient assessment skills in a safe environment. Excellent facilities to practice these skills.
- Really interesting, learning a new way of thinking and speaking to patients.
- Clinical patient assessment - Most valuable, hands on learning experience of the course. It enabled me to put into practice the information that I had acquired during the entire course. I found it a very valuable experience and recommend that it is replicated in future years.
- Awesome. I thoroughly enjoyed and learnt lots, especially whilst undertaking the practical sessions.
- Thank you for a very enjoyable course. Some of the experiences have been unforgettable.
Deadline for applications: 31st July 2015
If you require more information, please contact us at email@example.com