Prof Chris McGuigan - BSc PhD
Telephone:+44 (0)29 208 74537
Fax:+44 (0)29 208 74537
Life Science HUB
Prof McGuigan has been appointed by Business Minister Edwina Hart to Chair the Task and Finish Group for the Life Science HUB at Cardiff Bay.
ABPI Annual Lecture for 2012
Ups and Downs of a Drug Hunter - from the Lab to Patients
Professor Chris McGuigan graduated Bachelor of Science in 1979 with First Class Honours from the University of Birmingham where he also obtained his Ph.D. in Anticancer Drug Design, 1982.
• Major interest in new drug discovery and development for HIV, hepatitis B and C, herpes, cancer, osteoarthritis, measles and influenza. This involves synthetic organic and organo-phosphorus chemistry, purification methods and spectroscopy, particularly high field NMR, and close collaboration with virologists and biochemists throughout Europe, and USA.
• Antiviral Drug Discovery via ProTides. Our collaborative projects with GSK, NC, Roche Palo Alto and Inhibitex GA are now completed. Major potency enhancements were observed with a number of antiviral agents.
FV100. The World's most potent inhibitor of VZV (cause of chickenpox and shingles). Our lab discovered this agent and out-licensed it to Inhibitex. See - FV100 - the story. FV100 is now licenced to Synergy Pharma.
Member of the School's Medicinal Chemistry Research Discipline
I lecture to years 2-4 of the M.Pharm. Degree:
• M.Pharm 2. Module 2106 - Pro-Drugs. Module 2108 - NMR
• M.Pharm 3. Module 3101 - Chirality and Drug Action, Antivirals
• M.Pharm 4. Module 4112 - Workshops on Med.Chem. Module 4112 - Publication workshop,
We also run M.Pharm. Research Projects in our laboratory each year.