Prof Chris McGuigan - BSc PhD
After a B.Sc. and Ph.D. in Chemistry at Birmingham University I carried out post-doctoral research in Edmonton, Alberta, followed by a demonstratorship at Exeter. My first faculty post was at UCL followed by Southampton University, and I came to Cardiff in 1994. In 2002 I was elected to the Board of the International Society for Antiviral Research and subsequently to the post of President-elect (2004-6) and President (2006-8). I sat on the RAE panel for Pharmacy in 2001 and again for 2008. I was PVC for Research at Cardiff 2012-13 and now Chari the Task and Finish group of the WG for the Welsh Life Science HUB.
Awards and Prizes
• Inspire Wales Winner in the category of Science and Technology.
• Cardiff University, Innovation Award.
• Finalist for THES RCUK Awards
• The 2008 Innovation Prize was awarded to the Welsh School of Pharmacy and American-based pharmaceutical company Inhibitex Inc for their work in developing and trialling a new treatment for shingles.
• Royal Society of Chemistry Industry and Technology Forum Chemistry World Entrepreneur of the Year Award. Highly Commended Chris McGuigan for the pre-clinical and clinical development of a new family of anti-viral agents. 'Discovery for Viruses and Cancer', RSC Innovation Awards 2006. Chris McGuigan and Jon Dickens, Cardiff ProTides Limited.
• Prof Chris McGuigan was recently announced as the 2005 winner of Royal Society of Chemistry Industrially-sponsored Award in Medicinal Chemistry. This award is given every 3 years for outstanding contributions to medicinal chemistry. The citation reads 'For impressive contributions to antiviral and anti-cancer medicinal chemistry, and to innovative pro-drug methods, that have lead to clinical candidate drugs'.
• GlaxoSmithKline International Achievement Award 2004 presented at BPC, Manchester.
• WDA Technology Prize for Health and Life Sciences.
• International Society for Antiviral Research (ISAR) Prusoff Prize.