Dr Karen Hodson - BSc (Pharm) MSc PhD MRPharmS Pharmacist
Telephone:+44 (0)29 208 75806
Fax:029 2087 4535
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- 2011 - Practical Leadership for University Management, Cardiff University
- 2009 - PhD, Cardiff University
- 1995 - MSc in Clinical Pharmacy, University of Wales, Cardiff (Distinction)
- 1991 - Member of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, now General Pharmaceutical Council
- 1990 - BSc in Pharmacy, Manchester University (2:1)
MSc in Clinical Pharmacy
The MSc in Clinical Pharmacy is a programme to develop pharmacists for their role as a hospital pharmacist. The programme is run at five centres throughout Great Britain; three in Wales (North, South-east and South-west), one in Oxford and one in Bradford/Airedale. In each centre there is an Associate Course Director, who is an Honorary Lecturer at Cardiff University, who oversees the day to day management of the centre. In total, there are currently 35-40 accredited hospital sites and 300 accredited tutors. The intake each year is between 40-50 students and there are about 100 students enrolled on the programme at any one time.
As Director for the programme, Karen’s primary role is to ensure the strategic direction of the programme is in line with changes within the National Health Service and the University, as well as ensuring the overall organisation and co-ordination of the programme across all centres and accredited hospitals.
Postgraduate Certificate in Non-medical Prescribing
Since 2004, Karen is also the Director for MSc in Clinical Pharmacy, a joint programme with the School of Nursing and Midwifery Studies. She is the School of Pharmacy’s lead for the programme; this involves ensuring that the programme is ‘fit-for-purpose’, as well as tutoring and teaching on the programme.
Karen also contributes to the 3rd and 4th year of the MPharm programme.
Member of the School's Pharmacy Practice & Clinical Pharmacy Research Discipline
Professional Activities and Recognition
- 2011 - Invited Speaker, FIP India: Teaching Skills in Pharmacist Prescribing
- 2011 - Invited Speaker, RPharmS; Developing a Sustainable Work Based Learning Infrastucture: The Wales Experience
- 2010 - External Examiner, Keele University, MSc in Clinical Pharmacy
- 2010 - Member of the WeMeReC Steering Committee
- 2007-2011 External Examiner, Kings College London, Non-medical Prescribing
- 2007 - Adjudicating committee for UKCPA abstracts and awards
- 2000 - Member of the Sub-groups for the Welsh Chief Pharmacists; the Education, Training and Development Sub-group, Patient Safety Sub-group.
Member of Associations and Groups
- General Pharmaceutical Council
- Royal Pharmaceutical Society
- United Kingdom Clinical Pharmacy Association
- International Pharmaceutics Federation (FIP))
- Academic Pharmacists Group
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (ACCP)
- Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM)