I hold a chair in Cardiff School of Mathematics where I work on a variety of problems involving spectral theory and numerical analysis for ODEs, PDEs, block operator matrices and operator pencils.
I am always interested to hear from motivated students who wish to work towards a PhD. My first PhD student already holds a chair, and of my two past postdocs one now holds a readership and one a lectureship. Bear in mind, however, that a PhD requires rather different skills from those required to solve undergraduate mathematics problems and pass exams. Problems often take many months or even years to solve, and there is no guarantee of success.
Prospective students should also have a look at the Cardiff School of Mathematics information for graduate students which has links to the University's online application forms. Note that Cardiff School of Mathematics is part of the MAGIC Consortium which provides taught courses for doctoral students. Students must pass several taught during their studies, as well as producing original, publishable research.
This PDRA post is available to work on a joint project with Malcolm Brown and David Walker (Computer Science, Cardiff) and Paul Ledger (Swansea). It is intended primarily for people with a good knowledge of the analysis of PDEs. There will be a corresponding post at Swansea for specialists in numerical analysis, in particular finite element methods for Maxwell systems.
Current Research Sponsors
Past Research Sponsors
- e-mail MarlettaM@cardiff.ac.uk
- t. (+44)(0)(29) 2087 5552
- f. (+44)(0)(29) 2087 4199
- s-mail Senghennydd Road, Cardiff CF24 4AG, United Kingdom
- M.S.P. Eastham Memorial Meeting, 1-2 July 2013
- 2nd Leverhulme-WIMCS Conference on Spectral Theory: Cardiff, January 7th-10th 2013.
- 1st Leverhulme-WIMCS Conference on Spectral Theory: Cardiff, May 8th-11th 2012.
- MOPNET Meeting 6 in Bath, April 2nd-3rd 2012:
- MOPNET Meeting 5 at University College London, September 12th-13th 2011.
- MOPNET Meeting 4, sponsored by MIMS: 27-28 April in MANCHESTER.
- Analysis Octoberfest!
- Meeting in Honour of D.E. Edmunds and W.D. Evans: December 18th-20th 2010, in Cardiff.
- Analytical Computational Maths Day: 24th February in CARDIFF.
- Postgraduate NA Day, 18th September, in CARDIFF.
- Uzy Smilansky, 'Semiclassical Theory for Pedestrians', Lectures 1-2.
- Uzy Smilansky, 'Semiclassical Theory for Pedestrians', Lectures 3-4.
- Uzy Smilansky, 'Semiclassical Theory for Pedestrians', Lectures 5-4.
- 2008 Conference on Computational and Analytic Problems in Spectral Theory Gregynog, 12th-18th July 2008.
- New MATLAB code for waveguide problems with Michael Levitin