Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTP) is one of the UK's leading programmes, providing resource and expertise to organisations that wish to innovate, expand or improve their performance. KTPs establish a partnership between your organisation and Cardiff University, enabling you to access skills and expertise, on a project central to your needs.
A graduate or postgraduate (the Associate) is the project’s manager and the conduit that transfers the skills and knowledge from the University to your organisation. They work full-time at your company’s location and are jointly supervised by your company’s personnel and a senior academic from Cardiff University.
KTPs can be undertaken by:
- Stable companies of all sizes from all industrial sectors across the UK (non UK for an eKTP)
- Charities and not-for-profit organisations
- Education institutions (LEAs and schools)
- Health organisations (hospitals and NHS Trusts)
Key Benefits and Outputs
A KTP offers an alternative option to consultancy or student placements, leading to a wide range of benefits including:
- Increase competitive advantage
- Improve performance/business operations
- Increase profitability
2011-12 statistics reveal that on average, the expected business’ benefits from a single KTP project (typical duration 1-3 years) are:
- An increase of over £240,000 in annual profits before tax
- The creation of two genuine new jobs in addition to recruitment of the associate
- An increase in skills of existing staff with an additional 21 staff trained