Forthcoming changes to Library Services
25 July 2014
Over the summer, the University Library Service will be making some changes to the way that loan categories are managed. The changes, which will be introduced in time for the start of the 2014/15 academic year, will simplify the loan categories, increase availability of books, and ensure a more consistent experience across the University's Library sites.
The key changes which will be introduced are:
- The number of items that most users can borrow at any one time will be increased.
- Email notifications will be introduced to alert all users when an item is due for return or renewal.
- A maximum of 25 renewals will be permitted on all items.
- User categories will be streamlined for greater simplicity and clarity.
- Items on 13-week loan will be recalled to the library if they are reserved by another user, with return requested within two weeks from the date of the recall.
Janet Peters, Director of University Libraries, said: "We are introducing these changes to make the University's loan policies more consistent for all our users, as well as simpler to operate. We will continue to actively monitor reservations on Library items to respond to demand and purchase where possible additional copies or eBook versions of the most requested texts."
The changes will apply to new loans from the week beginning 11th August 2014.
Please contact Tracey Stanley, Deputy University Librarian, with any enquiries (StanleyTS@cardiff.ac.uk, ext. 75693).