Walk-in Access to Electronic Resources
About this service
The Walk-In Access to Electronic Resources service gives users access to a number of electronic resources, such as ejournals and databases, where licensing agreements allow. Access is provided on dedicated terminals in the following libraries (click on the link for location details and opening hours):
- use the resources for your own private study/non-commercial educational purposes
- under fair dealing you may, for the purpose given above, print a single copy of an extract from a single journal issue or from a book.
The limits for fair dealing copying from any one publication are generally accepted to be:
- one article from any one issue of a journal
- one chapter or up to 5%
You may not:
- use the service for commercial or business purposes
- email or save any search results or articles
- access any sites, software or applications (such as Microsoft Office or email) outside this service from this terminal
Who can use it
Please see the Contact us section below if you have any questions about eligibility for the service.
How to use it:
- Registering for the Service
Each time you wish to use the Walk-In Access service, you must register at one of the libraries which are participating in this service.
How to register:
Step 1: You will be required to provide one of the following forms of identity:
- Current Cardiff University Associate Library Card
- Passport / EU National Identity Card
- UK Driver's Licence
- Current Credit Card or Debit Card
- Utility Bill
- Benefit Card or Book
- Bank or Credit Card Statement
- NUS or Student ID Card
This service operates on a ‘first-come, first-served’ basis. On the day you plan to visit, we recommend you telephone one of the participating libraries to check the availability of this service (see Contact us below).
- Using the service
When you have registered, you will be provided with a Walk-In Access card for the duration of your visit. Insert this card into the dedicated computer terminal to gain access to the Walk-In Access service (library staff will show you where these computer terminals are located). You should then be able to see the Welcome page; click on the ‘Resources’ tab to access all the resources available. Please note that you can only search for content within the individual resources, not the service as a whole.
You can check the list of available resources (see section below) before you visit the library but you will only be able to access them from one of the specified libraries. You will be able to print using the webPrint service in these sites; please ask library staff for details when you register. Please also note that you can only print PDF documents through this service.
During busy times, your access to the service will be restricted.
View the List of Resources you will be able to access.
- there is no remote access available for Walk-In users: you may only access resources from one of the dedicated computer terminals in the libraries participating in this service.
- you can search within each of the resources but Cardiff University does not subscribe to all content within each resource
- there may be a temporary loss of access to resources at any time due to the unavailability of the provider's website
- access to particular resources or access to the service as a whole may be withdrawn at any time.
You can contact us via:
- Email: Library@cardiff.ac.uk
- Ask a Librarian Live Chat Service
‣ Aberconway: 029 2087 4770
‣ Arts and Social Studies: 029 2087 4818
‣ Brian Cooke Dental Library: 029 2074 2525
‣ Bute: 029 2087 4611
‣ Health: 029 2068 8137
‣ Science: 029 2087 4085
‣ Senghennydd: 029 2087 4158
‣ Trevithick: 029 2087 4286