New Spalding Club (12th-19th century)
The New Spalding Club was founded at Aberdeen in 1886 and, like the Spalding Club, it aimed to publish historical records relating to the North-east of Scotland. The New Spalding Club, however, had broader range of interest than its predecessor and its area of geographical interest was extended to include not just the immediate counties of Aberdeenshire, Banffshire, Kincardineshire and Forfarshire, but also Inverness, Sutherland, Caithness and Orkney. Its remit was to include archaeological as well as historical matter.
The Library holds 39 of the 45 titles published by the Club between 1887-1924. Titles include: Cartularium ecclesiae Sancti Nicholai (1294-1630); The Records of Aboyne (1460-1676); Records of the Sheriff Court of Aberdeenshire 1598-1649; Territorial Soldiering in the North-East of Scotland during 1759-1814. The volumes reproduce historical sources from the 12th-19th century; most texts are in English and where the original source is in Latin an English translation is provided alongside.