Archives and Manuscript Collections
The main University Library research archives date from the founding of the University in the 19th Century, but there are individual manuscripts which date back to the 14th or 15th centuries.
Amongst our foremost archives are those of the writer and poet Edward Thomas (1878-1917), the newspaper magnate from Cardiff, Hugh Cudlipp (Lord Cudlipp of Aldingbourne, 1913-1988), our archives related to 20th century evidence based health care, and the many personal papers of previous academics of the University.
Brief listing of archives collections
UNDER CONSTRUCTION: An online, fully-searchable and detailed archives catalogue.
Highlighted individual archives
- David Bainton : (Eminent Epidemiologist)
- Sir Austin Bradford Hill
- Archie Cochrane: (Evidence based medicine)
- Cudlipp: (Journalism)
- UCAC: (Welsh trades union)
- Archives Hub - General descriptions of many Cardiff University Library Archive holdings
- National Library of Wales
- Glamorgan Record Office
- Archives Wales
- National Archives, London
- National Archives, Scotland
- Scottish Archives Network
- Public Record Office, Northern Ireland
- Archives Hub (UK Universities)
- A2A (English Record Offices)
- Aim25 (London area archives)
- International Council on Archives