Library services for NHS Wales staff not employed by Cardiff and Vale University Health Board or Velindre NHS Trust
NHS Wales staff not employed by Cardiff and Vale University Health Board or Velindre NHS Trust are welcome to use our libraries in accordance with the Information Services Regulations.
- Where to find our hospital based libraries
- How to join
- Your library card
- Your library PIN
- Library facilities and how we can help
- Access to Cardiff University electronic resources
- NHS Wales e-Library for health
Where to find our hospital based libraries
Cardiff and Vale University Health Board (UHB):
Archie Cochrane Library, University Hospital Llandough
Brian Cooke Dental Library, Dental School, University Hospital of Wales
Health Library, Cochrane Building, University Hospital of Wales
Velindre NHS Trust:
Cancer Research Wales Library, Velindre Hospital
How to join
Visit one of the health libraries during staffed opening hours. You will need to bring with you:
- identification and proof of employment (or if you hold a Cardiff University honorary title a copy of your appointment letter)
- a passport sized photograph* which will be used to produce your library card.
On completion of an application form, you will be given a library membership card that you can use in any of the University libraries.
*If you are able to visit the Health Library, Cochrane Building, University Hospital of Wales between 10am and 12pm, Monday to Friday, you will not need a photograph as facilities are available to produce one.
Alternatively, you can join at the Senghennydd Library, located in the Cathays Park campus, during the following times:
- Monday to Friday 10am - 9pm, Saturday 10.30am - 5pm (during semester time)
- Monday to Friday 10am - 4.30pm (during vacation time)
Your library card
You will need your library card whenever you borrow or renew items. This is particularly important when using one of our libraries with self-issue and return facilities.
You are responsible for all materials issued on your card so do not lend it to anyone else. Please keep your card safe and let us know at once if you lose it. There is a £10 replacement fee.
Your library PIN
When you join the library, please ask for a library PIN. Use the PIN to access your library account. You will need to change your PIN the first time you log on to your account.
Library facilities and how we can help
- Library staff are here to help you with your enquiry. You can chat to a member of library staff using our 'Ask a Librarian Live' online chat service
- You can borrow and return items from any Cardiff University library
- Use LibrarySearch to find items in our library catalogue, and to access your library account
- Journal collections (both print and electronic) are accessible via our walk-in-user access scheme and subject to licensing agreements
- Photocopying facilities are available in all Cardiff University libraries
Access to Cardiff University electronic resources
Cardiff University subscribes to many electronic information resources including eBooks, eJournals, and databases such as Medline and CINAHL (nursing and allied health information).
For publisher licensing reasons, we can only offer walk in access to NHS Wales staff using dedicated machines in the health libraries and in other selected sites. Please ask library staff for further information.
However NHS Wales staff who hold a Cardiff University honorary title or are training grade doctors and dentists are entitled to access resources and should have been given a username and password by the University to access them. If you are unsure of your eligibility or how to access the resources, please ask library staff for help.
NHS Wales e-Library for health
The NHS Wales e-Library for health is funded by the Welsh Assembly Government and offers a wide range of resources for all NHS Wales staff including:
- Databases e.g. MEDLINE, CINAHL, EMBASE, PsychInfo, Emerald
- Electronic journals and books
- Medicines information e.g. Micromedex, BNF and BNFC
- Clinical Evidence e.g. Cochrane Database
- Clinical Guidelines e.g. NICE, SIGN, NSFs
The e-Library for health is located within the Health in Wales website and is available either through your workplace NHS Wales intranet or on the website.
Some of the resources require an Athens password. You can self-register for an Athens account via the athens box on the e-Library for health homepage.
Alternatively library staff can issue Athens usernames. Contact your own organisational library service for assistance.
For a list of Health Board/Trust libraries in Wales, please see the Wales Deanery website.