Library services for Cardiff and Vale University Health Board and Velindre NHS Trust
Cardiff and Vale University Health Board and Velindre NHS Trust staff, and GPs working in the Cardiff area, are entitled to use the University Library Service in accordance with the University IT and Library services regulationss.
- Where to find our hospital based libraries
- How to join
- Your library card
- Your library PIN
- How we can help
- Library facilities
- Access to Cardiff University electronic resources
- NHS Wales e-Library for Health
Where to find our hospital based libraries
Cardiff and Vale University Health Board (UHB):
Archie Cochrane Library, University Hospital Llandough
Brian Cooke Dental Library, Dental School, University Hospital of Wales
Health Library, Cochrane Building, University Hospital of Wales
Velindre NHS Trust:
Cancer Research Wales Library, Velindre Hospital
How to join
Visit one of the health libraries during staffed opening hours. You will need to bring with you:
- Your Cardiff and Vale UHB or Velindre NHS Trust identity card as proof of employment
- A passport sized photograph which will be used to produce your library card.*
On completion of an application form, you will be given a library membership card that you can use in any of the University libraries.
*If you are able to visit the Health Library, Cochrane Building, University Hospital of Wales between 10am and 5pm, Monday to Friday, you will not need to bring a photograph as facilities are available to produce one.
Alternatively, you can join at the Senghennydd Library, located in the Cathays Park campus, during the following times:
- Monday to Friday 10am - 9pm, Saturday 10.30am - 5pm (during semester time)
- Monday to Friday 10am - 4.30pm (during vacation time)
Your library card
You will need your library card whenever you borrow or renew items at one of the libraries. You will be able to borrow up to 35 items using your card.
You are responsible for all materials issued on your card so do not lend it to anyone else. Please keep your card safe and let us know at once if you lose it. There is a £10 replacement fee.
Your library PIN
When you join the library, please ask for a library PIN. Use this to access your library account. You will need to change the PIN the first time you log on to your account.
How we can help
Library staff are here to help you with your enquiry. You can use our 'Book a Librarian' service to make an appointment for a more in depth discussion – find out more in any University library. You can also chat to a member of library staff using our 'Ask a Librarian Live' online chat service.
We can provide assistance with using databases, literature searching, systematic literature reviews and copyright
Information skills training both individually and in groups can be arranged. Ask a member of library staff for further information.
- You can borrow and return items from any Cardiff University library
- Use LibrarySearch to find items in our library catalogue, and to access your library account
- Journal collections (both print and electronic) are accessible via our walk-in-user access scheme and subject to licensing agreements
- Use the Inter-library document supply for books and articles not available locally
- Photocopying facilities are available in all Cardiff University libraries
- Cardiff and Vale UHB networked PCs are available in the Archie Cochrane Library, Brian Cooke Dental Library and the Health Library
- Velindre NHS Trust networked PCs are available in the Cancer Research Wales Library
- IT training rooms in the Archie Cochrane and Health Libraries can be booked for group training sessions using internet resources. Please ask in the library for further information.
Access to Cardiff University electronic resources
Cardiff University subscribes to many electronic information resources including eBooks, eJournals and databases such as Medline and CINAHL (nursing and allied health information).
For publisher licensing reasons, access is only available to Cardiff and Vale UHB and Velindre NHS Trust staff using dedicated PCs located in the health libraries. Please ask library staff for further information .
However Cardiff and Vale UHB and Velindre NHS Trust staff who hold a Cardiff University honorary title or are training grade doctors and dentists are entitled to access resources and should have been given a username and password by the University to access them. If you are unsure of your eligibility or how to access the resources, please ask library staff for help. Your Cardiff University username and password will allow you to use Cardiff University networked PCs which are available in all University libraries. You will also be able to register your mobile device for the eduroam wireless service, which enables Internet access across Cardiff University and Cardiff and Vale University Health Board sites. For further information about using the eduroam service, please see our wireless web pages.
For Cardiff and Vale UHB eligible staff there is a short cut to the University eResources available from the Clinical Portal via the Clinical Education tab.
NHS Wales e-Library for health
The NHS Wales e-Library for health is funded by the Welsh Assembly Government and offers a wide range of resources for all NHS Wales staff including:
- Databases e.g. MEDLINE, CINAHL, EMBASE, PsychInfo, Emerald
- Electronic journals and books
- Medicines information e.g. Micromedex, BNF and BNFC
- Clinical Evidence e.g. Cochrane Database
- Clinical Guidelines e.g. NICE, SIGN, NSFs
The e-Library for health is located within the Health in Wales website and is available either through the NHS Wales intranet on a Cardiff and Vale UHB or Velindre NHS Trust networked PC or on the website.
Some of the resources require an Athens password. You can self-register for an Athens account via the athens box on the e-Library for health homepage.
Alternatively, library staff can issue Athens usernames:
Cardiff and Vale UHB staff should contact:
Rosemary Soper, Archie Cochrane Library - tel. 029 2071 5497, email: email@example.com
Velindre NHS Trust staff should contact:
Bernadette Coles, Cancer Research Wales Library - tel. 029 2031 6291, email: firstname.lastname@example.org