Get the Adobe Flash plug-in by clicking here
Cardiff University campus users
If you are on the Cardiff University campus and have problems with plug-ins or browsers, you can contact the INSRV Service Desk on extension 74487 or visit the INSRV web pages.
- Contact details and location
- Staff contacts
- Opening hours
- Further information
- Bute Graphic Services
Bute Library Contact Details
PO Box 430
The address given above is the postal address for this library.
The location of the library is:
King Edward VII Avenue
The Bute Library is situated on the first floor of the Bute Building on King Edward VII Avenue.
Access the Bute & Architecture Library Blog
- Situated on the first floor of the Bute Building
- An adjacent lift provides access from the ground floor and lower ground floor
- Two reserved disabled parking spaces are provided in the Bute car park. The side door from the car park is the main entrance route for wheelchair users
- An accessible toilet is situated on the first floor landing
- Low-level library catalogue terminals are available
- Staff will retrieve books from the shelves - please ask for assistance
|Summer recess 2014 (Monday 23rd June to Sunday 21st September)||Opening hours|
|Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday||08.45 to 17.00|
|Thursday||08.45 to 20.00|
|Saturday and Sunday||Closed|
|Monday 25th August (Bank Holiday)||Closed|
The library collection is arranged as follows:
- Planning and Geography books and journals
- Journalism and Media Studies books and journals
- Social Sciences books
- Photocopy collection
- Daily newspapers
- Laptop lounge
- Reference collection
- Pharmacy books
- Pharmacy journals
Entrance Area Gallery
- Planning statistics
- Abstracts and Indexes
- Examination papers
- Videos and DVDs
- Theses and dissertations arranged alphabetically by author
The following special collections are available in Bute Library:
The library subscribes to all British national daily and weekend newspapers as well as the Western Mail and South Wales Echo. These are held for one year in the Newspaper Room in the South corridor.
Online versions of these and many other newspapers are available through the Nexis service.
Bute Library also has the archive of the Observer (1900 - 2002) and the Daily Express (1974-1978) available on microfilm.
Those titles not available on campus can be accessed at British Library Newspapers in London, which is the national archive of British and overseas newspapers. As it is not possible to view these newspapers online from the British Library a personal visit will be necessary.
The Osman Collection is named after Colin Osman, long-time Editor of Creative Camera and associate of Tom Hopkinson when he was editor of the South African journal, Drum. His collection of historic magazines, books, sound-recordings and photojournalism was acquired by the Tom Hopkinson Centre for Media Research to form the basis of its research archive. For further details, see The Osman Collection.
Bute Graphic Services
Located on the ground floor of the Bute Building. Staff offer a number of services which include:
- Colour printing /scanning up to A0
- Laminating up to A0
- Soft binding
Opening times: Monday to Friday 9.00am – 4.45pm (closed for lunch 12.00pm – 1.00pm).
Tel: 029 2087 5985
More information available from Graphic Services.