Services for Apple Mac users - software and support
Cardiff University currently supports users of Mac OS X 10.7 'Lion', 10.8 'Mountain Lion' and 10.9 'Mavericks'.
- Connecting to the network
- Connecting the Mac to eduroam for the first time
- Anti-virus software and security
- Accessing Cardiff University IT services
- Supported software
- News and service status information
Connecting to the network
How to register your computer with Information Services. Covers the basic configuration required to access the Internet using wired or wireless networks.
Once the Mac has been registered, follow these steps to connect it to eduroam for the first time. On subsequent occasions, connection should be automatic.
I. Click on the wireless networking icon, locate eduroam-setup and click on this
II. Log in to your University email@example.com and password and click OK to accept the configuration settings.
The connection settings are delivered with a configuration profile. Once this has been accepted the Mac is automatically configured for the eduroam wireless network.
On subsequent occasions, connection to eduroam should be automatic. If for any reason it is not, select eduroam from the list of available wireless networks.
Anti-virus software and security
Information on installing the supported Anti-virus software, and its use, is available on the computer security and virus protection web pages.
Accessing Cardiff University IT services
Network file space
This can be accessed via:
- 'My Files' - access through the applications on the intranet (log in required)
- Your Home file space - Type " https://home.cf.ac.uk " into the Finder's Go - > Connect to Server...menu item
- Your Shared file space - Type " https://shared.cf.ac.uk " into the Finder's Go - > Connect to Server...menu item
CIFS (also known as SMB) - enables unmanaged computers to access the University networked filestore, Home and Shared, when on campus.
Your Cardiff email can be accessed using a web browser, Exchange/Outlook client or IMAP client.
Guidance and information on:
Supported Apple Mac OS X Software
Our portfolio of supported software, either locally installed or available from our network.
- Supported Apple Mac Software
- The Mac software service - afp://macsoft.cf.ac.uk (this link will only work on a Mac)
- SPSS for home Mac users can be downloaded via the Cardiff Authenticated Downloads site.