Cardiff University Wireless Network
The Cardiff University Wireless Network is freely available upon registration to staff, students and invited guests offering flexible access to online resources across the University campus via laptop, tablet and Wi-Fi enabled phones.
There are three wireless services available:
eduroam wireless network now available at selected Cardiff and Vale University Health Board sites
Cardiff and Vale University Health Board, working in partnership with Cardiff University, has now made the eduroam wireless network available via the Health Board's wireless access points in the following locations:
- Concourse, University Hospital of Wales
- Heathfields Restaurant, University Hospital of Wales
- Children's Hospital of Wales
- Restaurant, University Hospital, Llandough
- Coffee Shop, University Hospital, Llandough
- Loudon Square Health Centre
This is a phased deployment and, if successful, Cardiff and Vale University Health Board plan to roll out the eduroam service to all of their 1,400+ wireless access points by the end of September 2013.
eduroam is the preferred wireless service because it is securely encrypted.
- eduroam and CU-WiFi enable you to access Cardiff Portal, the Internet and use online information resources.
- eduroam (education roaming) is the secure, world-wide roaming access service developed for the international research and education community.
- eduroam allows students, researchers and staff from participating institutions to obtain Internet connectivity across campus and when visiting other participating institutions by simply opening their laptop.
- The eduroam companion app provides users with the locations of eduroam enabled institutions world wide allowing them to locate the nearest source of secure internet access. This app is available for both apple and android devices
- Enables invited Cardiff University sponsored guests to access the Internet (via HTTP or HTTPS only)
- CU-Guest Wi-Fi for Wireless Registration: Cardiff University staff and students can connect to the CU-Guest Wi-Fi to complete online Registration for laptops. You will need a unique CU Guest Username and Password to complete this process.
- Enables you to access the Cardiff Portal, the Internet and use online information resources. The service provides basic unencrypted access to the World Wide Web. It is possible for unscrupulous hackers to see this data. We recommend that you use the eduroam service wherever possible.
Which service should I use?
eduroam: this is the preferred wireless service for staff, students and visitors from participating eduroam establishments.
CU-Guest: Guest wireless accounts are only appropriate for sponsored academic and non academic visitors requiring access for less than 7 days. If you need access for longer than 7 days, please contact your local computing representative or conference organiser.
CU-WiFi: This service provides very basic, unencrypted access to the World Wide Web. Data is passing between your laptop and the wireless network. It is possible for unscrupulous hackers to see this data.
Help and advice
For help in using the wireless network take a look at the wireless Frequently Asked Questions
If you can't find the answer here, please contact insrvConnect, the Information Services IT Service Desk.