Cardiff University Residences Network
Users of RESLAN enjoy a fast connection to the Cardiff University Academic Network which will allow access to Information Services' online databases and electronic journals.
Wireless networking will be available in University Residences (except student houses and flats) from the end of September 2012.
**New students** - Check your computer for use on RESLAN before leaving home!
To check whether your computer meets the minimum security requirements for use on the RESLAN network, please access the Internet with the machine you are bringing with you and click here (note - do this again just before you leave home, to make sure nothing has changed).
If your computer fails the test please make sure you rectify any issues before trying to connect to RESLAN, remember it's YOUR responsibility to make sure your machine has anti-virus software installed, is virus-free and is set to receive automatic security updates.
Also.... please remember to work through the 'Leaving Home Checklist' - see the 'Related Resources' panel on the right of this screen.
- RESLAN News
- Where can I connect from?
- How can I connect?
- Conditions of Use
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Help and Support
Up-to-date information regarding RESLAN connections - RESLAN news
iPhone, iPad, Smartphone and PDA use
Wireless networking is now available in all University residences (except student houses and flats)
Wireless coverage is also available at other University locations - please see our list of locations.
If you register your laptop from your room, it will automatically be registered for the wireless service. You can also register your mobile phones, iPhones and iPads from your room.
If you are having a problem registering your mobile device help is available at the following locations:
- Julian Hodge Study Centre.
- Libraries on the Cathays and Heath site campus
- The IT Clinic, Students Union, 1st Floor between 1-3 Monday-Friday (term time)
*Between 19th September -19th October 2012 the IT Clinic will open extended hours of 10am - 4pm including the weekend of 22nd-23rd September*
Where can I connect from?
All University residences (except student houses and flats) are now connected to the RESLAN network.
Conditions of use
All users of the University’s campus network must read and agree to comply with the University regulations and the Joint Academic Network Acceptable Use Policy (JANET AUP).
The JANET AUP is important because all Internet traffic flows via JANET.
Users must also comply with the Information Services Regulations
Any user found to be breaching regulations will be subject to the Student Disciplinary Code.
Subject to the requirements of current legislation, the University routinely monitors network traffic to assure the continued integrity and security of the University’s systems.
In addition, as part of the Permission to Connect Policy for Residences:
- You are only permitted to connect your registered equipment to your allocated network outlet.
- You may not connect equipment that provides onward connection to other equipment.
- This equipment must not adversely affect the use, or compromise the security of, any other computer connected to, or user of, the Cardiff University networks.
- You may not run any network servers, including (but not limited to) Mail, FTP, Web and Games servers
- You are responsible for keeping your computer free from viruses, spyware and other malicious software. Your computer must have a copy of a supported anti-virus program installed, and the program must be kept up to date with the latest available definitions of known viruses. The status of your anti-virus software and virus definitions may be monitored and RESLAN reserves the right to disconnect you if your computer is found to be non compliant, or to be hosting of sourcing any form of malicious software.
- Only the Network Name and Address assigned (via DHCP) by the RESLAN network may be used. These addresses are dynamic and will change regularly. On no account should fixed IP addresses be entered into the network configuration of a computer
- You may not divulge your username and password to anyone at any time. You may not ask for or use the username and password belonging to another.
- The RESLAN network is not permitted to be used for commercial use.
In accordance with the RIP Act 2000, the University may routinely monitor information systems to assure the continued integrity and security of the University's systems and users' compliance with the law. Disclosure of the content of messages and other data will only be undertaken with the specific authorisation of the Vice-Chancellor, or nominee, on the evidence of good cause.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Help and support
For RESLAN queries please contact insrvConnect - the Information Services IT Service Desk on 029 2087 4487.
You can also come and see us at the IT Clinic on the First Floor of the Students' Union, Cathays Park (opposite the IT shop) Monday-Friday between 1-3pm during term time.