Connecting to ResLAN
- Connecting via wireless
- Connecting via a network cable
- Help and advice
- Re-testing your computer and quarantining
Connecting via wireless
Please visit our wireless web pages for further information about how to connect to the wireless network from University Residences.
Connecting via a network cable
- This registration process is best performed in your Residences room where the process is optimised for ease of registration
- You will need your Cardiff username (eg C1234567) and password to complete registration
- Laptops must be operating on mains power, not battery power during registration
- You must have an up-to-date, supported anti-virus program
To connect, follow these instructions:
- Connect your computer to the wall socket using the green network cable provided in your pack
- Open a web browser on your device. Your browser will automatically redirect to the 'Welcome to Cardiff University' ResLAN network setup screen
- Follow the on-screen instructions
- Wait five minutes for the registration process to complete
- Test your connection by visiting an external website such as www.bbc.co.uk
Please note: If you wish to use your computer on the wireless eduroam network, please also refer to our wireless web pages.
Help and advice
Please see the Connecting to ResLAN troubleshooting guide for further help with connecting.
If you are still unable to connect, you will need to provide the following details:
- Cardiff University Username (Student ID)
- University Residence details: hall/house/flat/room
- Outlet number (located on the wall, where you plug in the green cable)
- Computers' operating system
- A contact telephone number
- The step at which the above process failed
Then, please contact or visit the location below:
- Telephone registration helpline: (029) 2087 4605
- Visit the IT Clinic in the Students' Union
Re-testing your computer and quarantining
Occasionally, we may require that your computer is re-checked; this is to ensure that your computer is still receiving automatic security and anti-virus updates. During this period, your computer will be re-scanned . Whilst this is taking place, you will only be allowed very limited access to the internet, i.e. you will only be able to access anti-virus and security update sites. Once your computer has been checked and verified to be secure, you will regain access to the internet.
If at any time your computer is deemed to be a threat to other users on the network, you will be temporarily isolated from the network until the issue has been resolved. You will then be advised by an email sent to your Cardiff address that you have been quarantined from the ResLAN network.