Services for researchers
- Library services
- IT services
- Graphic and media services
- Help with Open Access publishing
- Away from Cardiff? Services for travelling researchers
Ordering books and journals
Please discuss your research information requirements with your Subject Librarian who can then arrange purchases for the library.
You can also make recommendations for journal subscriptions to your school library representative. Journal collections are usually reviewed on an annual basis.
Requesting an item from Store
You can request an item from Store using the online request form on LibrarySearch.
You can use the Inter-Library Loan service to obtain books, journal issues and articles which are not available in Cardiff University libraries. Inter-Library Loan requests should be made at your University library.
Most loan requests are delivered within 1-2 weeks although journal articles can usually be delivered within a week, or with electronic document delivery, within 24 hours. Obscure material or material in great demand can take longer to supply.
- Journal articles are usually supplied as photocopies, or electronically to your network account as pdf files via secure electronic delivery.
- Books or journals will be delivered to the library where you made the request.
- Theses and other special items can only be used within the library.
Using other libraries
- Borrowing from other libraries
- The SCONUL Access scheme is a co-operative venture between most of the higher education libraries of the UK and Ireland. It enables staff, research students, full-time postgraduates and part-time, distance learning and placement students to borrow material from other libraries. Please ask at any Cardiff University library.
- The National Library of Wales offers access to its collections for reference purposes. It is recommended that you contact the National Library to discuss requirements before visiting.
- The British Library offers a wide range of information resources online and it is also possible to register to use the St Pancras Reading Rooms in London.
- COPAC provides free access to the merged online catalogues of major UK and Irish University research libraries, including Cardiff University.
Specialist Unit for Review Evidence (SURE)
SURE is a largely grant-funded unit that supports and conducts research to assist evidence-based practice and policy. Staff search for, appraise and summarise relevant and best available evidence and contribute to the teaching of these skills within Cardiff University.
Support for those undertaking a systematic literature review is available by contacting a member of staff at the SURE office: email email@example.com or telephone (029) 2074 5142.
Postgraduate researchers in healthcare who are beginning a systematic review may find SURE’s guide on Beginning a Systematic Review of the Healthcare Literature helpful.
Getting started with IT
We provide step-by-step help for getting started with IT and connecting to the University IT network. If you have problems with getting started, or if you have a need to connect unusual equipment, please contact us.
A full list of IT Services offered by University IT is available in the IT Service Catalogue.
Supported hardware and software
Email and collaboration
A range of communications tools is available to you, including:
- The University intranet. Your gateway to electronic resources, IT services, file sharing and collaboration software, Manage My Publications (quick deposit for ORCA, the institutional research publications repository) and much more;
- Email with off-campus access to staff email and calendar services;
- Telephone services;
- Telephone conferencing (teleconferencing) services;
- Videoconferencing services;
- Quickr TeamPlace. A TeamPlace is an easy way to share multiple files (up to 100MB in size) with colleagues inside and outside the University;
- Connections collaboration software. Cardiff Connections can help you do collaborative work within the University more efficiently, making sharing with colleagues easier and helping you to quickly find and access expertise from across the University.
- Large file transfer service - FastFile. The FastFile service, aimed at staff and postgraduates, provides an easy, intuitive, secure method of sending and receiving large files (up to 15GB) via any web browser. It can be used to transfer files to someone either inside or outside of the University.
- The University Blogs service, provided in partnership with the Communications and Marketing department, enables researchers to promote their research and reach out to the wider community outside the University.
- An internal, password-protected Wiki service is also available, enabling staff and students to collaborate, create and share web-based information.
There is also a wireless network service, free to staff and students, which allows you to access online resources from wireless hotspots across the University campuses.
Advice is available on the best place(s) to store your data:
- Storage advice for different categories of data
- Guidance leaflets on records management (including Guidance for Managing Research Records and Data) provided by the University's Governance and Compliance Division.
We also provide a chargeable Backup and Restore service for your own data and applications (e.g. hard disks which are not usually centrally backed up).
If you would like to discuss your needs, or are proposing a research project with significant new data storage requirements, please contact us.
- We support the Bristol Online Survey (BOS) tools, to help you to undertake research surveys via the web.
- We also provide a range of chargeable Web Hosting services and managed environments, for supported online databases and tools.
Advanced Research Computing @ Cardiff (ARCCA)
Advanced research computing is a hugely powerful technique which uses leading-edge IT resources and tools to pursue research, including computer simulation and modelling, manipulating and storing large amounts of data, and many other methods to solve common research problems. ARCCA provides:
- Supercomputing equipment
- Help and training with using the equipment
- Advice on shaping relevant research grant proposals, in partnership with Research and Innovation Services
Additional IT services or needs
If you have a particular need for IT services which you feel is not being met, we ask you to discuss your needs with your Local Computing Representative (LCR) in the first instance.
Graphic and media services
Cathays Park Graphic Services units offer low cost print and copying services, which include: colour and black and white laser copying; large format scanning and printing, soft binding, and laminating. We also offer a fax service and you can purchase stamps, stationery, CDs and memory sticks.
The Heath Park-based Media Resources Centre is responsible for the design, production and provision of media and resources to support teaching, research and clinical documentation aimed primarily at the academic schools based at the Heath Park campus, and the Cardiff and Vale University Health Board.