Wales and Europe
The European dimension in Wales
Cardiff EDC is a source of expertise to information in electronic and paper formats concerning the European Union, the countries of Europe, and issues of concern to citizens, researchers and stakeholders in Europe.
One area that is of growing interest is the European dimension in Wales:
- how EU policies impact on Wales
- relations between Wales and other countries and regions of Europe
- the input of Welsh institutions and organisations ('stakeholders') into European policy-making.
Cardiff EDC has long maintained a small selection of information sources in paper format on aspects of Wales and Europe. For many years it also maintained an index of information sources on this topic.
Traditionally, there have been challenges to those wishing to find information on Wales and Europe. Much information was based on the UK level rather than specifically relating to Wales, and the information that existed was often dispersed and not easily accessible.
Devolution of power to newly created institutions in Wales, namely the National Assembly for Wales and the Welsh Assembly Government, has begun to address this problem, as has the potential of the web to allow for much more intensive publishing of information by stakeholders.
Guides to information sources
European Sources Online
European Sources Online (ESO) includes a special section on Wales and Europe which provides information on the European Union dimension in Wales. This will help you find relevant information from the following sources:
- EU Institutions
- Welsh Assembly Government (including the Welsh European Funding Office)
- National Assembly for Wales (including papers of the European and External Affairs Committee)
- Welsh Local Government Association
- Stakeholder organisations such as Wales Council of Voluntary Associations, Welsh Language Board, Welsh Higher Education Brussels, Farmers' Union of Wales, NFU Cymru, Countryside Council for Wales, Wales Environment Link, etc
- Political parties in Wales and Welsh Members of the European Parliament
- News sources such as WalesOnline and BBC Wales
- Books and journal articles.
Wales and Europe information sources
This presentation highlights a selection of web sites offering information relating to the European dimension in Wales.
News and events
Cardiff EDC compiles a monthly news bulletin which highlights European developments of interest. This includes events taking place in Wales with a European dimension. If you are organising such an event and would like it to be included please send details, including any publicity literature, to email@example.com.
Information about events being held at the Cardiff EDC can be found on our News and Events page.
EU publications in Welsh
Click on the link below to see a list of publications available free of charge from the Cardiff EDC. Alternatively you can click on the thumbnail image to download the pdf version, or request a free paper copy, from the EU Bookshop.
Teachers wishing to obtain multiple copies for use in the classroom can take advantage of our bulk orders service. Please contact us for details.
English language publications are listed on our Finding out about Europe page.
Sut mae’r Undeb Ewropeaidd yn gweithio: Eich arweiniad i sefydliadau’r UE
Comisiwn Ewropeaidd, 2014
Rhif Catalog: IK-02-13-497-CY-C