Printed Collections for Law
The printed collections in the Law Library reflect the research interests of Cardiff Law School. These interests include: criminal law and justice, intellectual property, environmental law, marine and shipping law, family law and justice, medico-legal studies and civil legal process.
The principal printed collections are listed in the following sections:
- UK Statutes & Law Reports
- Official Publications Collection
- European Union Collection
- European Court of Human Rights
- Legal Research Collection
- International Law Treaties and Reports
- Foreign Legislation and Law Reports
- Schwartzenberger Collection
For further information contact a member of staff from the Law Library or Legal Practice Library.
UK Statutes & Law Reports
- Bills (selection)
- Public General Acts (1225-)
- Local & Personal Acts (1884-1979)
- Statutory Instruments (1948-)
- Northern Ireland Statutes (1921-2006)
Official Publications Collection
- Parliamentary Debates (House of Commons 1812- , incomplete)
- Parliamentary Debates (House of Lords 1938/9- , incomplete)
- Parliamentary Debates (Standing Committees 1957/8- , incomplete)
- Command Papers (White Papers 1801-)
The Parliamentary Papers microfiche collection contains most (but not all) papers published by HMSO since 1801.
The "British Official Publications not published by HMSO" 1980- microfiche collection contains publications from over 500 British government organisations including government departments, nationalised industries, research institutes, quangos and other official bodies not published by The Stationery Office.
European Union Collection
Reports of cases heard in the European Court of Justice are held in the Law Library.
Copies of the Official Journal (1973-2000) are held in the European Documentation Centre.
- Common Market Law Reports (1, 1962-)
- European Community Court of Justice Reports (1, 1954-)
European Court of Human Rights
- European Court of Human Rights judgments and decisions (1, 1960-)
Legal Research Collection
Standard legal research and reference works held include:
- Current Law Case and Legislation Citators (1947-)
- Current Law Yearbooks (1947-)
- The Digest (incomplete)
- European Current Law (1995-)
- European Current Law Yearbook (1995-)
- Halsbury's Laws of England
- Halsbury's Statutes
- Halsbury's Statutory Instruments (held in the Legal Practice Library)
- Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals (1960-2006)
Please check LibrarySearch for complete holdings and details on latest editions held.
International Law Treaties and Reports
Arranged alphabetically by title.
- Cases on the Law of the Sea (1-4)
- Commonwealth International Law Cases (1-19)
- Consolidated Treaty Series (1648-1919)
- International Court of Justice judgments (1947-2003)
- International Law Reports (1,1919/22-)
- Law of the Sea: Documents 1983-1992 (1-16)
- League of Nations Treaty Series (1920/21 - 1939/46)
- New Directions in the Law of the Sea (1-42)
- Permanent Court of International Justice (1, 1923/27 - 87, 1939)
Foreign Legislation and Law Reports
Arranged alphabetically by jurisdiction focusing on Commonwealth, US, French, German and Italian materials. The Law Library also holds Japanese law materials.
A collection of undergraduate and postgraduate dissertations and theses completed by Cardiff Law School students.
Schwartzenberger Collection (held in Special Collections and Archives)
A collection of international law materials donated by Prof. Schwartzenberger (University of London), held in Special Collections and Archives (SCOLAR). Around 100 rare and valuable items have been catalogued.