Teaching, Learning & Assessment
Linguistic & Cultural Challenges Faced by International Postgraduate Students when Preparing Written Work
The course is aimed at those who are keen to explore and discuss the additional challenges facing international students. The workshop, in line with enhancement activities outlined in The Way Forward, aims to contribute to the enhancement of academic and professional services in meeting the needs of an increasingly diverse and international student body. It aims to increase intercultural awareness and, in line with the UK Professional Standards Framework for teaching and supporting learning in higher education, contributes to the continuing professional development of staff engaged in these activities with diverse learning communities and with international students in particular.
There is no qualification awarded for attendance.
This course should prove to be of particular interest to those who:
- Teach/lecture international students whose first language is not English
- Provide support and guidance to international students regarding written work (e.g. supervisors)
- Set written work and assess international students’ written work
This interactive workshop will reveal some of the difficulties encountered by international students in completing written assignments. It will outline the type of support that English Language Programmes staff provide to help international students complete written academic assignments. It will also promote discussion about how Schools, and particularly academic staff, can help international students with the additional challenges of writing in a second language. It is aimed at anyone who sets, supervises and marks work by international students.
On completion of this course, it is expected that learners will be able to:
- Better understand the possible cultural differences facing students from other linguistic and educational cultures
- Reflect on their own practice in supporting international students whose first language is not English
- Initiate conversations within their School to further understanding and support of the needs of international students
- Consider and select from a range of strategies for supporting international students in their School
To register interest in this course, please submit a request to be added to the waiting list via the Core Portal. Please note, your line manager will need to log into their Core Portal and approve this request.
Once there is sufficient demand to run an event we will book an event date and contact you.