Leadership and Management Development Programme for Research Team Leaders
Find out about the Leadership and Management Development Programme for Research Team Leaders from those who've done it.
In the News
The latest on Leadership and Management Development at Cardiff.
THE Award Winner 2010
In November 2010 this programme received the THE Award for Outstanding Contribution to Leadership Development with the judging panel describing Cardiff’s approach as “rigorous and comprehensive”.
The Programme incorporates a Cardiff University specific version of the nationally run training module: “Research Team Leadership - Developing your capacity for research team leadership” which develops Research Team Leaders to:
Build and lead a research team, run effective research team meetings, motivate and support individual researchers and develop their role as a team leader; thus enhancing capability as a research leader and developing career potential in order to help prepare for the leadership challenges involved in delivering research on-time and within resource constraints, as well as ensuring timely publication of research findings.
This module will be delivered by external facilitators with extensive experience of research team leadership and a thorough knowledge of the challenges involved in conducting publicly funded research.
Supporting it will be activities and resources from Cardiff University to:
- Offer Research Team Leaders a learning opportunity that will enhance their understanding of the University’s strategic research aims and aspirations.
- Offer Research Team Leaders opportunities to improve their practical leadership skills, as well as their confidence to lead and to enlarge their network of peers in similar roles across the University and encourage inter-disciplinary research.
Who should attend this Programme:
Lecturers, senior research-only staff, senior lecturers or readers, recently appointed as principal investigators or currently leading small research teams (up to six researchers), with responsibility for leading research staff , postgraduate research students, as well as technical and administrative support staff .
- Improved research team morale
- More effective use of resources
- Clear and co-ordinated research planning
- More effective research team meetings
- Improved strategic focus for research team leaders
- Improved engagement with support processes / services for researchers within the University
Key Learning Outcomes:
Participants will be able to:
- Undertake an analysis of their own management style and practice and make plans for further development.
- Apply leadership and management good practice to their own situation and to build effective research teams.
- Improve their knowledge and ability to lead researchers, teams and change processes.
- Better manage processes, resources and change in practical ways consistent with Cardiff University’s strategic aims
- Critically review and challenge their current situation and identify opportunities for change.
- Review and plan their own continuing leadership & management development.
Further Information and to Apply
Please find below a Programme Outline providing further details of the programmes content along with dates of forthcoming programmes and an application form. To discuss the programme in further detail please contact the Programme Co-ordinator, Martin Udwin.