In the News
Please find below details of some of the latest Leadership and Management Development activities taking place within the University and how these efforts have been recognised both within the University and externally.
Annual Leadership Awards Ceremony 2012
Effective leadership and management are central to the current and future success of the University and help to ensure a motivating, fair and positive working environment for all staff.
Ninety-one members of academic and support staff attended the Annual Leadership Awards Ceremony to receive certificates for one of the three programmes: Leadership and Management Development Programme for Research Team Leaders; the Leading and Managing Teams Programme; or the Practical Leadership for University Management Programme.
- Cardiff University Annual Leadership Awards, Blas, Cardiff University
- Annual Leadership Awards Ceremony 2012
- Annual Leadership Awards Ceremony 2012 (event brochure)
Cardiff Futures Launch
The Vice-Chancellor’s development programme for Early Career Academics
Applications are invited for the Cardiff Futures programme.
Led by our Vice-Chancellor, Professor Colin Riordan, Cardiff Futures is an innovative development programme. The programme is designed to support early career academics, and those relatively new to the University, to develop their career path and to explore how they might contribute to shaping the future of our University. The programme also seeks to promote collaborative working across disciplines.
- Cardiff Futures, Blas
Stonewall Leadership Programme 2011 - Call for Applications
The University would like to fund two members of staff to attend the Stonewall Leadership Programme taking place on 10th and 11th November 2011 at the Ashridge Business School. The Stonewall Leadership Programme is the UK’s only specifically designed course for high talent LGB leaders. Over two days, the Leadership Programme offers the unique opportunity for delegates to examine who they are as leaders from the perspective of their sexual orientation and the practice of authentic leadership. Please click here for further information and details about how to apply.
Annual Leadership Awards Ceremony 2011
More than 70 staff from across the University have been recognised for their successful completion of one of four leadership programmes: Leadership and Management Development Programme for Research Team Leaders; Heads of Schools Development Programme; Leading and Managing Teams; Practical Leadership for University Management. Speaking about how she has benefited from the Leading and Managing Teams course, Senior Assistant Residences Manager at Aberdare Hall Emma Ballinger said: "This course was really helpful to me in my current role as it taught me both theoretical and practical skills. It was also really nice to meet with people from other departments in similar positions and discuss different issues."
- Investing in Cardiff People, Cardiff News, Cardiff University
- Developing leaders and managers, Blas, Cardiff University
- Annual Leadership Awards Ceremony 2011
- Annual Leadership Awards Ceremony 2011 (event brochure)
Investors in People (IiP)
In 2011 Cardiff University became the first Russell Group university, and one of the largest employers in Wales, to achieve Investors in People (IiP) accreditation across the whole institution.
The IiP Assessment Team said that “By achieving Investors in People, you have put your organisation at the forefront of good practice. This gives a clear signal to everyone you deal with that you are committed to continuous improvement through your main resource: your people”.
The Vice-Chancellor, Dr David Grant said: “Investors in People recognition is an important achievement, but it is a milestone on a journey. Our assessors recognised many examples of good practice, but we can do more to share and embed these practices across the whole University… These findings, and many others, will be carefully considered so that we can develop more opportunities for continuous improvement.”
Areas that the IiP Assessment Team felt were strengths across the University included:
- the opportunities for staff to take advantage of a very wide range of courses to facilitate their personal development;
- the way the University genuinely seeks and listens to feedback and plans to improve as a result;
- the ongoing commitment to developing and delivering robust management practices.
Areas for development included:
- more effective promotion of mentoring as there is a lack of awareness and understanding about how the University’s approach works;
- encouragement to engage in the appraisal process. Highlighting the benefit and value of the appraisal system;
- building on the good work of the Leadership and Management Framework and encouraging appraisers and appraises to incorporate this into their approach.
Times Higher Education Awards 2010
The Leadership and Management Development Programme for Research Team Leaders has been recognised with the Times Higher Education award for Outstanding Contribution to Leadership Development at the THE Awards 2010. The judges described Cardiff University's approach to preparing researchers for leadership and management roles as "rigorous and comprehensive" and that Cardiff University was "probably the most committed to this kind of development activity in the UK".
- THE Awards Winners Supplement (Digital), Times Higher Education
- THE Awards 2010, Times Higher Education
- "Top award for York as sector celebrates its achievements", Times Higher Education
- "Cardiff Wins Award for Leadership Development", Engage (Winter 2010/11, page 5), Leadership Foundation for Higher Education (LFHE)
- "Award Winning Leadership Development", Cardiff University
Annual Review 2009
Read about the work of Leadership and Management Development at Cardiff University from past participants of both the Leadership and Management Development Programme for Research Team Leaders and Practical Leadership for University management Programme as recognised in the Annual Review 2009.
- Annual Review 2009, Cardiff University
Investment in Research Team Leaders at Cardiff University
"Research staff from Cardiff University were amongst the first to attend the Leadership Foundation
for Higher Education’s excellent two day training open course ‘Research Team Leadership’ (RTL) and
recommended it highly. Based on this feedback we, in Human Resources, decided to look into ways
to incorporate RTL into our staff development programme."
- "Investment in Research Team Leaders at Cardiff University", Engage (Spring 2008, page 12), Leadership Foundation for Higher Education (LFHE)