Many different agencies and organisations offer relevant and appropriate support and development opportunities, outside Cardiff University. We give details and links to a range of them here. Please note we are happy to add others to these web-pages if suggested. You can contact us through email@example.com.
The Institute of Leadership & Management exists to support, develop and inform managers at every stage of their careers. ILM offers a wide selection of flexible leadership and management qualifications and specialist member services.
The Leadership Foundation provides a dedicated service of support and advice on leadership, governance and management for all the UK’s universities and higher education colleges.
Whereas the Higher Education Academy (HEA) has been set up to support the quality enhancement in teaching and the student experience, the Leadership Foundation is committed to developing and improving the management and leadership skills of existing and future leaders of Higher Education. Wherever the opportunity arises they work for the benefit of the sector.
The Leadership Foundation does not have a college or fixed training centre. They meet needs where they arise, through their experienced staff and associates.
Cardiff University is a member of the Leadership Foundation for Higher Education and as such has access to the courses, programmes and advice they offer.
Cardiff University is a member of Public Service Management Wales. PSMW offer a range of development opportunities. As a member we can send staff on events, courses or programmes at discounted rates and, in some instances, for free.
A benefit of attending PSMW events, courses, programmes, is that they offer the opportunity to network with other Welsh HEI’s and various public service agencies, such as local government.
PSMW Mission & Objectives
To deliver to public service organisations the highest quality products and services that help to build the capacity of managers and leaders to improve the delivery of services to the people of Wales.
To deliver this mission, the following five strategic objectives have been identified:
- To build the capacity of managers and leaders working at all levels of public service to improve the delivery of services
- To facilitate public service organisations to work in collaboration and partnership with each other and other stakeholders in the interests of delivering improved services
- To ensure probity and good governance in the arrangements for designing and delivering PSMW services and products
- To support public service organisations in becoming fit for purpose, meeting stakeholder expectations, and delivering efficient and effective services
- To ensure stakeholder groups and individuals are clearly and accurately informed about the role of PSMW and the services and products available.
Academi Wales has been established as the Welsh public service's centre for leadership excellence. They provide access to development opportunities for all public service leaders and managers, building capability, capacity and collaboration to deliver better public services for Wales.
The Association of University Administrators (AUA) is an inclusive membership-led body for all those interested in advancing their career in higher education.
Leadership & Management Wales (LMW) is a unique centre for excellence, funded by Welsh Government and the European Social Fund to benefit businesses of all sizes and sectors across Wales.
Its vision is to create an environment where every business in Wales is aware of, understands, engages with and can benefit from leadership and management development (LMD).
As a Wales-wide consortium, it benefits from the strength of partnership working – pooling expertise from lead partner Cardiff Business School, and other consortium members Aberystwyth University, Glyndwr University and Tattum Guest Associates Ltd to deliver unrivalled research insight and
hands-on business experience.
LMW seek to achieve their vision through four aims:
- Raising awareness of the benefits of LMD, explaining and promoting LMD in ways which are appropriate and meaningful to businesses of all
sizes and in all sectors;
- Positioning LMW as Wales’ one-stop shop for all LMD information and resource;
- Providing evidence of the impact of LMD on individual businesses and the economy more widely;
- Making the LMD in Wales the best it can be.
Please see their website for further information: www.lmw.org.uk
The National Leadership and Innovation Agency for Healthcare brings together the functions of the Innovations in Care Team (IiC) previously based at the Welsh Assembly Government, the Centre for Health Leadership Wales (CHLW) and strategic workforce redesign capability.
Unionlearn (Previously referred to as Union Academy) is set up to help unions spread the lifelong learning message to even more members. This website has access to courses on employment law, communication and many others that will be of interest to those with leadership / management roles.
We offer here links to training opportunities and support staff groups who are currently in a minority in terms of representation in leadership positions in the University. Examples could be: women, disabled, black and minority ethnic, or openly gay, lesbian or bisexual staff.