Finance, Funding & Resources
Lose your Fear of Finance: Skills for Business and Research
Financial awareness is a fundamental part of starting a business and is important within the research environment too. Whether you are thinking of starting your own business or just want to improve your financial knowledge and skills, this workshop will put you on track.
Presented by Dr Kevin Parker, KKI Technology Associates. KKI is the UK's longest established provider of training in commercial and financial skills for scientists and technologists (http://www.kkitech.com).
At the end of the day you will be able to:
- Prepare an operational cash budget using an Excel template;
- Understand what profit/loss statements and balance sheets are and how they are constructed;
- Understand the basics of ‘dragon’s den finance’ (“I’ll sell you 40% of my company for £1m”);
- Tell how quickly a company pays its creditors and gets paid by its debtors;
- Understand the difference between capital and revenue items;
- Understand the difference between full and marginal costing;
- Understand the difference between overheads and direct costs;
- Fill out a VAT form;
- Know the meaning of accruals, depreciation, creditors, reserves, and a whole lot of other accounting terms.
You should come on this course if you:
- Want to understand more about financial matters in a commercial setting;
- Want to be able to demonstrate to future employers that you have a grasp of finance basics;
- Are interested in starting a new business, but find the money and the jargon intimidating;
- Would like to understand what the stock market is about;
- Watch Dragon's Den and think you could do better, or are otherwise trying to raise money for a business.
|24 April 2013||09:00 - 17:00||Graduate Centre (room number to be confirmed)|
Target Group: RS & PGR