Introduction to Planning an Academic Career
About this Course
Introduction to planning an Academic Career is a half day interactive workshop intended to assist research staff with their academic career planning.
Who should take this Course
This course should prove to be of particular interest to those who:
- Are current members of Academic Staff on Research only contracts
- Are interested in reviewing and updating their plans to develop their academic career in the UK
It is recommended that following this workshop research staff also attend the relevant Academic careers events where interaction with role models is part of the event.
Outline of content
This brief workshop aims to introduce new members of research staff, those within their first few years of a research career, to the essentials of planning a career as an academic in the UK Higher Education sector. It will explore an understanding of the academic sector and the place of research therein and examine the main skills, experience and knowledge required for a range of roles. It will then examine the use of the Researcher Development Framework RDF and explore assistance with your own personal plan.It also looks in detail at the requirements for a first lecturing job. This workshop aims to increase awareness of relevant factors in HE academic careers and provides a helpful start to career planning.
On completion of this course, it is expected that learners will be able to:
- Understand the context and culture of academic work
- Articulate their own reasons for pursuit of an academic career and their own concept of career success
- Specify the skills, experience ,knowledge, attributes and qualities required for the main range of academic roles available
- Specify the requirements for a first lecturing job
- Review their own personal level of skills, experience and knowledge in context of Vitae RDF (Researcher Development Framework)
- Develop their own effective career action plan with reference to the Agcas Researcher to lecturer model.
- Confidently select and access sources of assistance
Places on this workshop are open to staff members on a Research only contract, other staff groups are welcome to apply for a place and will be entered onto a reserve list, in the event of a place becoming vacant a week prior to the session commencing staff members will be offered a place. For further guidance please email ResearcherDevelopment@cardiff.ac.uk
04 November 2015
13:30 - 16:30
27 May 2016
09:30 - 13:30
11th Floor, McKenzie House, 30 - 36 Newport Road, Cardiff, CF24 0DE
To book a place on either date please submit your booking request via Core Portal*
*Please note you will need to inform your line manager/principal investigator of your training request so that they can authorise it in the Core Portal. No automated email will be sent notifying them of pending training requests.
Target Audience: RS